Indiana University, School of Art, Architecture + Design
Assistant/Associate Professor of Architecture
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Indiana, United States|
|Position:||Assistant Professor, Associate Professor|
ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF ARCHITECTURE
The School of Art, Architecture and Design (SoAAD) is seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic colleague for a position in the Master of Architecture Program as a full-time Assistant/Associate Professor (https://architecture.indiana.edu/academics/index.html) with an area focus in architectural design and architectural design education, with the ability to teach architectural design studio and courses of study in multiple areas, including energy, environment, sustainability, urban design and urban design theory. The primary location of this position is Columbus, IN, with a secondary location being Bloomington, IN.
SOAAD (https://soaad.indiana.edu/) is dedicated to developing a faculty body composed of diverse scholars and practitioners. We seek a forward-thinking colleague who wishes to be part of an innovative, founding program in architecture and who is committed to interdisciplinary engagement and exploration of the convergence of Architecture, Design and Studio Art. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to educate emerging leaders in architecture.
We are looking for candidates who have demonstrated innovative research in design, are interested in the intersection of architecture and studio art, and have demonstrated the capacity to collaborate with colleagues from a broad range of disciplines, have taught diverse populations of students, and have teaching/professional/research experience in two or more design related areas.
We seek candidates who can provide collegial leadership in a team-based environment. We are especially interested in designers with a commitment to the studio arts to prepare graduate students to respond to the complex challenges of community and the built environment. A strong candidate will have demonstrated an ability to work successfully with students, faculty, administration and the community.
Position Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching architectural design studio instruction in the 3-year studio education curriculum
- Teach lecture and seminar courses in at least one of the following areas: Energy, Built Environment, and Sustainability, Materials and Methods, Urban Design, Urban History and Theory
- Assist in the academic development of the core program and the three year mission of the Master of Architecture design education
- Potential to teach Studio Art instruction that includes Drawing, Painting, Printmaking
- Assist in the development of overall curriculum course construction for the 3 year graduate program, working with the Director and Associate Director and faculty, and administrative staff to serve the mission of the IU M.Arch program, linking core and option studios with the capstone studio semester
- Assist in the management and preparation of the NAAB accreditation process, coordinating with the Associate Director, faculty and staff in providing all material related to design education in the core for the NAAB visiting teams and for all reports
- Works in collaboration with the community and Outreach Coordinator to identify and develop projects for student and community engagement in first and second year core
- Collaborates with fabrication/shop manager to develop projects and assembly methods that contribute to the curricular model for core
- Advises the Director and Associate Director in identifying candidates for visiting critics for interim and final reviews.
- Collaborates with the Gallery Director to establish an exhibition schedule in the gallery for end of year exhibition for exemplary core student work
- Potential for summer teaching.
- Candidate is expected to pursue an active program of design research
- Candidates are expected to develop a scholarly agenda as well as participates in academic, community and professional service
- Expertise in Architectural Design and Architectural Design Studio instruction and one or more of the following: analog drawing/digital drawing formats and digital fabrication formats
- Master degree in Architecture or Urban Design or equivalent by the start date of employment
- Demonstrated record of (or the potential for) design research
Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates should submit a completed application to http://indiana.peopleadmin.com/postings/7226 and include the following materials:
- Letter of Application
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Research and Teaching
- Evidence of Teaching Ability
- Three references including current address, phone number and email address
- Examples of professional / creative / academic work and/or student work - maximum 10 pages (Submitted under “Other”)
The College of Arts and Sciences is committed to building and supporting a diverse, inclusive, and equitable community of students and scholars. Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status.
Interested candidates should submit a completed application to http://indiana.peopleadmin.com/postings/7226. Questions regarding the position or application process should be directed to: Megan Tansley, 139 Fine Arts Building, 1201 East 7th Street, Bloomington, IN 47405. Phone: 812-856-7448. Email: email@example.com.
|Primary Category:||Architecture and Architectural History
|Secondary Categories:||Fine Arts