University of Oslo, Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages
Two postdoctoral fellowships in ERC project “Brokering China’s Extraversion”
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Doctoral Fellow, Post-Doctoral Fellow, Research Professional|
Two postdoctoral fellowships and one PhD fellowship in ERC project “Brokering China’s Extraversion”
The University of Oslo has three positions open to work on the European Research Council-funded project "Brokering China’s Extraversion: An Ethnographic Analysis of Transnational Arbitration". The project is headed by Dr Heidi Østbø Haugen, and we invite two postdocs and one PhD to join. The positions are all based at the Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages, UiO, and the scholars will carry out data collection in the Pearl River Delta, analyzing how links between the PRD and other parts of the world are forged. Chinese language skills are required. More about the project: www.brokex.org
The postdoctoral fellows filling the announced positions will be in charge of:
* Case study 2: Integrating Chinese academic research with global scientific communities. https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/160467/post-doctoral-research-fellowship
* Case study 4: Transnational architecture production. https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/160469/post-doctoral-research-fellowship
* Doctoral research fellowship https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/160464/doctoral-research-fellow
The postdoctoral research project will constitute a significant component of the overall project, and the parameters of data collection and analysis are therefore largely determined by the overall project design. In addition to conducting fieldwork for the case, the postdoctoral fellow is expected to contribute to the analysis of the larger project, publish independently, and, together with other project team members, present research papers at international workshops and conferences, contribute to popular dissemination of the research results, and undertake administrative tasks related to the project.
The position is available for a period of 2.5 years (case study 2) and 3 years (case study 4). The postdoctoral fellows will work full-time on the project during this period.
· PhD or equivalent academic qualifications with a specialization within the social sciences or humanities in areas relevant to the project;
· Ability to collect and analyze data in Chinese (Mandarin and/or Cantonese);
· Excellent English writing skills and good English oral communications skills;
· Demonstrated experience with qualitative research methods;
· Personal suitability and motivation for the position.
The doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation before the closing date. Appointment is dependent on the public defense of the doctoral thesis being approved.
In the evaluation of the applications, emphasis will be placed on:
· The scientific merit and relevance of the research statement.
· Ability to carry out the designated responsibilities and deliver results in a timely manner within BROKEX;
· Familiarity with relevant theories and empirical contexts;
· Analytical skills;
· Experience with academic publishing;
· Good co-operative skills, and the ability to successfully join in academic collaboration within and across disciplines.
· Salary NOK 515 200 – 597 400 per annum depending on qualifications (for the postdoctoral researcher positions, for PhD see announcement link)
· A professionally stimulating working environment
· Membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
· Attractive welfare benefits
· The starting date is 17 June 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
How to apply
Applicants must submit the following attachments with the electronic application form (for the postdoctoral positions, for the PhD, see announcement):
· Application letter describing the applicant’s qualifications and motivation for the position;
· Curriculum Vitae with grades listed (with a list of education, positions, teaching experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activities);
· List of publications;
· A research statement in English of approximately 3,000 words. The statement should address the following questions: (1) Why does the project BROKEX and the case study appeal to you? (2) How will you draw upon your disciplinary and theoretical background and previous research experience when working on the project? (3) What will be the details of your methodological approach, and how will you deal with practical and ethical challenges that may arise during the fieldwork?
· Scanned copies of relevant diplomas and certificates (applicants with education from a foreign university must attach an explanation of their university’s grading system);
· Up to five writing samples (eg. academic articles, conference papers, chapters from the doctoral thesis), totaling a maximum of 150 pages.
· Contact information for two academic references (no letters of recommendation).
All documents apart from the diplomas and certificates must be in English or a Scandinavian language and uploaded in pdf format.
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link “apply for this job”.
The short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Associate Professor Heidi Østbø Haugen
Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages
University of Oslo
|Primary Category:||Social Sciences
|Secondary Categories:||Area Studies