Full-Time Tenure-Track Faculty: History (African-American History)
|Location:||Connecticut, United States|
Job ID: 492639
Quinnipiac University's Department of History and Geography in the College of Arts & Sciences seeks a dynamic and collegial teacher-scholar for a tenure-track appointment at the rank of assistant professor in nineteenth and/or twentieth-century African-American history.
All areas of specialization are encouraged to apply. We also welcome applications from candidates who can connect the African-American experience in America with themes such as immigration, ethnicity, gender, religion, medicine and the body, social class or popular culture.
The successful candidate should be able to teach a two-semester survey of African-American history in addition to more specialized courses in their area of research specialization, as well as a general U.S. history survey. Quinnipiac also has a very strong interdisciplinary program in the College of Arts and Sciences, and a broad interdisciplinary general education capstone course and we are particularly interested in candidates that have an interest in contributing to those efforts. Our department values highly innovative pedagogies and diverse perspectives.
About the college:
The breadth of programs offered in the College of Arts and Sciences provides the traditional strengths of a liberal arts education, with a focus on cultivating the intellectual and practical skills that students need for their personal and professional lives. The College of Arts and Sciences offers undergraduate majors in behavioral neuroscience, biochemistry, biology, chemistry, criminal justice, economics, English, game design and development, gerontology, history, independent majors, interdisciplinary studies, law in society, mathematics, philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology, Spanish language and literature, and theater.
In addition, the College of Arts and Sciences offers 31 undergraduate minors, a MS in Molecular and Cell Biology and the additional accelerated undergraduate/graduate programs: 3+1 and 4+1 BS/MS programs in Molecular and Cell Biology, 3+3 BA or BS/JD degree, 3+1 BA in Theater/MBA, and 3+2 BA or BS/MSW. Students can also complete a 5-year BA/BS and MA in Teaching in the following secondary education fields: Biology, English, History, Math and Spanish.
- Teach a two-semester survey of African-American history in addition to more specialized courses in area of research specialization, as well as a general U.S. history survey. Teaching load is generally 3/3 for those engaged in substantial ongoing research
- Publish impactful research in peer-reviewed journals and present research findings at academic conferences
- Design and deliver in-class and out-of-class learning experiences that engage and motivate student learning
- Serve as an academic advisor to students and assist student with career development
- Serve on Departmental and/or College of Arts & sciences and/or University committees
- PhD in History by May 2019 is required
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching effectiveness
- Evidence of a commitment to service and support of students
- Established record of, or demonstrated potential for impactful research
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Potential to make significant service contributions to the Department, College of Arts & Sciences, University and community
- Commitment to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Quinnipiac University is considering only those applicants who have valid authorization to work in the United States. Quinnipiac University does not sponsor employment based visas for this position.
Applications must be submitted electronically and include a resume, thoughtful cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position, and contact information for three references on the application form.
Quinnipiac University has a strong commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusion throughout the University community and welcomes candidates who enhance that diversity.
Quinnipiac University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/7kjzpq5kpnpmp2fy