University of Hawaii - Manoa, Theatre and Dance
TENURE-TRACK FACULTY POSITION: Assistant Professor of Chinese Theatre
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Hawaii, United States|
Title: Assistant Professor — Chinese Theatre (9-month tenure-track)
University of Hawaiʻ i at Mānoa, Position # 84678. See http://workatuh.hawaii.edu
Application Review begins January 4, 2018 and continues until position is filled. EEO/AA Employer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in area of specialty, Asian theatre history, directing, and others as needed.
- Chairing dissertation and thesis committees, and advising and mentoring MA, MFA and PhD students.
- Plan, fundraise for, implement and oversee artist residency programs and Chinese theatre productions as needed by the Asian Theatre Program and Department.
- Oversee guest directors of Asian Theatre productions as needed.
- Contribute to the relevant field(s) via scholarly and creative endeavors. Maintain an active program of extracurricular academic or creative research and/or publication.
- Serve on graduate, departmental, college, and university-wide committees.
- Participate in university/departmental responsibilities: such as: attending departmental meetings, faculty meetings, season selection/scheduling meetings, design meetings, and production meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by Chair.
- Ph.D. in relevant field in hand.
- 3 years of relevant teaching at post-secondary level (full-time or equivalent experience).
- Experience directing and producing xiqu.
- Proficiency in written Chinese.
- Fluency in spoken Mandarin.
- Record of successful fundraising and/or grant writing.
- Secondary area of expertise in Korean, Vietnamese, South or Central Asian theatre.
- Teaching experience in culturally diverse environments.
- Evidence of successful collaborative creative work.
- Publications in relevant refereed journals.
- Affiliations with relevant professional/scholarly organizations.
- Extensive experience directing and producing xiqu.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with, mentor and train, supervise, and/or collaborate with a variety of individuals, including colleagues, students.
Pay Range: Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To Apply: Submit 1) cover letter detailing how you meet minimum and desirable qualifications in the order listed above and are qualified to perform duties; resume; graduate school transcripts (copies are acceptable; however, original transcripts will be required at time of hire); names and contact information (street and email addresses, phone numbers) of three references; and one-page statement of teaching philosophy. Application materials become the property of the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa.
Application Address: Dr. Kirstin Pauka, Chair of Search Committee, Asian Theatre Program, Department of Theatre and Dance, University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 1770 East- West Rd, Honolulu, HI 96822. All materials must arrive together by mail or email.
Job details at the Work@UH website:
The University of Hawaiʻi is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
Inquiries: email@example.com or (808) 956-2587.
|Primary Category:||Theatre and History of Theatre
|Secondary Categories:||Chinese History / Studies