Director of Studies
|Location:||Massachusetts, United States|
Barre Center for Buddhist Studies (BCBS), one of the pre-eminent centers for the study and practice of Buddhism in the West, is seeking an experienced scholar-practitioner as its Director of Studies. The Director of Studies will lead the creation and implementation of BCBS’s core program: the study and practice of Buddhism in its many forms. As BCBS grows and diversifies its residential and online offerings, the ideal candidate will combine a serious grounding in Buddhist scholarship with pedagogical expertise in crafting a dynamic contemporary curriculum. This is an exciting opportunity to have an active role in visioning the next chapter for BCBS and to help shape Western Dharma. The position reports to the Executive Director.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Developing BCBS’s course catalog of 30-35 residential courses per year and 2-3 (at present) online courses per year
- Teaching a few residential and online courses per year
- Growing our community to include younger and more diverse members
- Editing and occasionally writing for our quarterly Insight Journal
- Managing the BCBS library
- Being part of a small, dedicated staff community, and being available as a scholarly and practice resource
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven experience in curriculum and course development, optimally online as well as in-person
- An appreciation of the value of integrating study and practice, a committed dharma practice, and meditation retreat experience
- Teaching experience in classroom settings and dharma programs
- Ability to work with the Executive Director, staff, and Board of Directors to clarify and implement BCBS’s vision
- Ability to interact with visitors, students, teachers, and our small, tight-knit community in helpful, respectful and gracious ways, with proficient communication skills and high emotional intelligence
- A degree in Buddhism, Religious Studies, or related field
The ideal start time for the position will be early 2019. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package with optional housing in an onsite cottage.
BCBS is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from historically marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
If you are interested, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Richard Henning, Executive Director
|Primary Category:||Religious Studies and Theology