National University of Singapore, Asia Research Institute
ARI Job Opportunities 2019/2020
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Doctoral Fellow, Post-Doctoral Fellow, Research Professional|
All positions are for outstanding, active researchers from around the world, to work on an important piece of Asia-related research in the social sciences or humanities.
Applicants should only apply for ONE of the four types of position (i.e. Senior Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Postdoctoral Fellow, or Visiting Senior Research Fellow). Apart from the quality of the research proposal, the applicant’s track record and supporting references, positions will be awarded on the basis of the relationship of the research topic to the identified priorities and themes of ARI’s research clusters as listed in https://ari.nus.edu.sg/Assets/Uploads/docs/HR/AreaofResearchFocus2018.pdf
Applicants need to indicate the particular Research Cluster(s) to which they are applying. In cases where there may be overlapping research interests, you may nominate up to a maximum of 2 clusters.
During their term at ARI, recipients are expected to submit a working paper (not more than 10,000 words) to the ARI Working Paper Series. Candidates are also required to deliver research seminar(s), contribute to cluster activities, and to acknowledge ARI in any publications arising from work undertaken at the Institute.
Interested scholars are invited to email their applications, consisting of:
1. A completed application form (Please click the link https://ari.nus.edu.sg/Page/ARI-JobOpportunities2018-19). Please ensure to complete all sections of the form and submit it to us in MS Word or equivalent editable format. If a section is not applicable to your application, please state ‘NA’.
2. Curriculum Vitae;
3. Synopsis of the proposed research project (maximum of 8-10 single-spaced pages);
4. At least one short sample of published work, preferably in English.
5. It is primarily your responsibility to ensure that two letters of reference are sent to us in confidence via email reporting on your academic standing, potential and proposed research by 3 September 2018.
6. Reference letters must clearly state your name, position and the cluster(s) that you have applied for.
7. Closing date for applications is 3 September 2018. You may wish to check with your referees that they have submitted their references before the closing date.
(I) ● Senior Research Fellowships
● Research Fellowships
You will work under the supervision of the Cluster Leader and take the lead in duties such as organising workshops and conferences, applying for grant funding, participating in current cluster projects, and carrying out new projects. Administrative duties and committee work may be assigned to you from time to time.
- Applicants must have a PhD from a reputable university, and a developing publication record, preferably in the English Language.
- Only candidates with more than 5 years of research experience after their PhD may apply for a Senior Research Fellowship position.
(II) ● Postdoctoral Fellowships
You will work under the supervision of the Cluster Leader and shall carry out duties including: organising workshops and conferences, applying for grant funding, participating in current cluster projects, and carrying out new projects. Administrative duties and committee work may be assigned to you from time to time.
1. Candidates must have fulfilled all requirements of securing a PhD from a reputable university at the time they take up their appointment at ARI.
2. If you are still a PhD candidate at the point of application, you may also apply provided that you are confirmed for graduation by your commencement date at ARI. An official letter from the Registrar’s Office of your university will be required to confirm the award of your PhD degree.
(III) Visiting Senior Research Fellowships
Visiting Senior Research Fellow appointments are intended to bring world class scholars to ARI to collaborate with and mentor our early career researchers and support the work of our research clusters, as well as to take forward their own projects. Those with interdisciplinary interests are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates must be senior scholars with extensive research experience and a strong publication record in the field.
- Positions are for a 3-month term.
|Primary Category:||Social Sciences