Associate Editor, Translation of the Tibetan Kangyur
|Location:||California, United States|
84000 – Translating the Words of the Buddha formally invites applications for the full-time position of Associate Editor. The appointment will run from June 2018 to May 2020 (2 years) with the possibility of extension.
The primary purpose of the Associate Editor is to evaluate the work of the translators working for 84000 and to offer them guidance and assistance to facilitate the successful completion of their translations for publication. This will include working closely with the editor in chief, the editorial director, other associate editors, copyeditors, and translators working for 84000.
The key tasks of the post are:
- Evaluation of translation drafts submitted to 84000.
- Correspondence with translators on textual, methodological, and terminological issues.
- Contributions to the editorial policies and textual resources of 84000.
- Participation in editorial meetings.
Qualifications and Experience
- A PhD degree in a related field
- Proficiency in classical Tibetan as well as Sanskrit and/or Buddhist Chinese
- Familiarity with Buddhist canonical literature
- Excellent English writing skills
- Knowledge of living Buddhist cultures
Personal Qualities and Skills Required
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Openness, humor, tolerance, and patience
- Tact, diplomacy, and discretion
- Good organizational and managerial skills
- Able to work effectively in teams
Terms and Conditions
- This is a fulltime position
- Salary is commensurate with experience and skills
- The editor will work from home and the position is therefore not geographically fixed
Interested persons should email their Curriculum Vitae, letter of application, and one letter of reference to the Editorial Committee at 84000 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applications will begin on April 1, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Editorial Committee at 84000: email@example.com
|Secondary Categories:||Religious Studies and Theology
South Asian History / Studies