Oriental Institute, Czech Academy of Sciences, South Asia Department
Researcher, History and Society of Pakistan
The Oriental Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences is offering a position for post-doctoral researchers in South Asian Studies.
Eligibility: The position is open to researchers with a doctoral degree in South Asian studies with focus on Pakistan. The candidates must have their PhD degree at the time of the application or guarantee that they will receive it before taking the position.
Research focus: South Asia with the focus on Pakistan – pre-modern, modern or contemporary.
The candidates are expected to have a proven track record of international publications and the ability to use Urdu and/or another language of Pakistan as a research language, i.e., to work with relevant sources and literature. Candidates should also write and speak fluent academic English as a prerequisite both for working in the international environment of the institute as well as for international publishing and networking. Past involvement in grant applications will be considered. The applicant will become part of the team around the research platform Power – Strategies of Social and Political Order and will contribute to the second stage of the project as specified in the platform description (http://power.orient.cas.cz/about-the-project-2/). The Institute expects application of theoretical frameworks relevant to the applicant’s topic of research and welcomes a willingness to apply Digital Humanities in research. Preference will be given to following themes:
- pre-modern, modern or contemporary history, politics, political systems;
- political and social elites;
- media, propaganda, mass persuasion, censorship, political discourse, history of media and journalism;
- interaction of politics, culture, language, and society; or
- cultural inclusion and cultural security in the context of state policy, globalization and development, cross-cultural or cross-border relations, inter-ethnic power structures.
Terms: The opening of the position is scheduled for June/September 2018 (negotiable). This is a non-teaching position on a two-year fixed-term contract.
The Institute will provide an office space, a computer, funding for proofreading services, library services (including funding for books purchases), and financial support for conferences or research trips abroad. Researchers are expected to be in residence at the Oriental Institute in Prague. During their residence, researchers are required to produce academic publications, as well as to actively participate and contribute to the organization of the Institute’s academic events and other networking activities. Successful candidates will be encouraged to present their research results at international venues, including the Oriental Institute Research Center in Taiwan (http://power.orient.cas.cz/research-center-taiwan/). The selected candidate may expect a gross monthly salary of 1,300 - 1,600 EUR, depending on experiences. The Institute reserves the right not to fill this position.
Application: Please submit all of the following materials:
1) CV including Publication List;
2) A project proposal formulated in accordance with the research objectives of the Power research platform (http://power.orient.cas.cz) in the length of approximately three to five pages, double spaced 12 pt. font. The proposal should contain an approximate plan of publications for the duration of the position at the Institute and should be supplemented by relevant bibliography;
3) Writing Samples, particularly:
a. a writing sample of no more than 20 pages; and a
b. Dissertation Abstract of no more than 2 pages; and
4) Two Letters of Recommendation which must be submitted by a referent or by the applicant by the deadline for the application to be complete. A list detailing the referents’ names, positions, affiliations, and their relation to the applicant must be submitted separately along with the remaining materials.
Deadline for applications: March 16, 2018
Notification: April/May 2018
Inquiries: Please direct inquiries to Dr. Tana Dluhosova, Project Coordinator of the Power research platform (email@example.com)
|Primary Category:||Asian History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||South Asian History / Studies