Oriental Institute, Czech Academy of Sciences, East Asia Department
Researcher, Korean History and Society
The Oriental Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences is offering a position for post-doctoral researchers in Korean Studies.
Eligibility: The position is open to researchers with a doctoral degree in Korean Studies. The candidates must have their PhD degree at the time of the application or guarantee that they will receive it before taking up the position.
Research focus: Korean Studies – pre-modern, modern or contemporary.
The candidates are expected to have a proven track record of international publications and the ability to use Korean as a research language, i.e., to work with relevant Korean-language sources and literature. Candidates should also write and speak fluent academic English as a prerequisite both for working in the international environment of the institute as well as international publishing and networking. Involvement in grant applications will be considered. The applicant will become part of the team around the research platform Power – Strategies of Social and Political Order and will contribute to the second stage of the project as specified in the project description (http:// power.orient.cas.cz/about-the-project-2/). The Institute expects application of theoretical frameworks relevant to the applicant’s topic of research and welcomes a willingness to apply Digital Humanities methods in research. Preference will be given to the following themes:
- pre-modern, modern or contemporary history, politics, political systems;
- political and social elites;
- media, propaganda, mass persuasion, censorship, political discourse, history of media and journalism;
- interaction of politics, culture, language, and society;
- cultural inclusion and cultural security in the context of state policy, globalization and development, cross-cultural or cross-border relations, inter-ethnic power structures.
Terms: The opening of the position is scheduled for June/September 2018 (negotiable). This is a non-teaching position on a two-year fixed-term contract. The Institute will provide office space, a computer, funding for proofreading services, library services (including funding for book purchases), and financial support for conference or research trips abroad. Researchers are expected to be in residence at the Oriental Institute in Prague. During their residence, researchers are required to produce academic publications, as well as to actively participate and contribute to the organization of the Institute’s academic events and other networking activities. Successful candidates are expected to actively contribute to the organization of academic events of the research platform and will be encouraged to present their research results at international venues, including the Oriental Institute Research Center in Taiwan (http://power.orient.cas.cz/research-center-taiwan/). The selected candidate may expect a gross monthly salary of 1,300 - 1,600 EUR, depending on prior experience. The Institute reserves the right not to fill this position.
Application: Please submit all of the following materials:
1) CV including Publication List;
2) A project proposal formulated in accordance with the research objectives of the Power research platform (http://power.orient.cas.cz) comprising approximately three to five pages, double spaced, 12 pt. font. The proposal should contain an approximate plan of publications for the duration of the employment at the Institute and should be supplemented by a relevant bibliography;
3) Writing Samples, particularly: a. a writing sample of no more than 20 pages; b. a dissertation abstract of no more than 2 pages; and
4) Two Letters of Recommendation to be submitted by the referee or the applicant before the application deadline.
5) A list detailing the referees’ names, positions, affiliations, and their relation to the applicant must be submitted separately along with the remaining materials.
Deadline for applications: March 16, 2018
Notification: April/May 2018
Inquiries: Please direct inquiries to Dr. Tana Dluhosova, Project Coordinator of the Power research platform (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Primary Category:||Asian History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Korean History / Studies