Arizona State University, School of Historical, Philosophical and Religious Studies
Assistant Professor, History
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Arizona, United States|
ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY, Tempe, AZ (JOB #12211)
Medieval or Early Modern Europe with Ability to Teach Global History
The School of Historical, Philosophical and Religious Studies invites applications for a full-time, tenure eligible Assistant Professor in History with an anticipated start date of August 2018. The successful candidate will be expected to develop and maintain an internationally recognized research program, teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and participate in university and professional service. Areas of specialization: medieval or early modern Europe (any geographic region) with research specialization in any period between the fifth and the eighteenth centuries C.E. The successful candidate will be expected to teach courses in European history, the global history survey, and comparative courses, and to teach both on-ground and online courses.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in History or related discipline by the time of appointment.
- Demonstrated potential for excellence in teaching courses in European and global history at the university level.
- Demonstrated potential for excellence in research.
- Area of specialization in European history.
- Area of specialization between 5th and 18th centuries C.E.
- Research specialization in one of the following: borderlands and migration; economic systems; environment; exploration and empire; political thought; religion and conflict.
- Evidence of interdisciplinary research.
- Demonstrated success in teaching on-ground and online.
- Demonstrated success meeting the needs of diverse student populations.
To guarantee full consideration, applicants must apply online at: http://apply.interfolio.com/46667, submitting a complete dossier which consists of the following:
- A cover letter, not to exceed 800 words, stating qualifications.
- A CV, clearly identifying areas of specialization and competence (if ABD, the CV must include information concerning which requirements in the candidate’s doctoral program have been completed, and the expected date of completion of the remaining requirements).
- Three letters of reference.
- A research statement no longer than 500 words.
- One syllabus for a course in European history, and one syllabus for a course in global history. Please indicate whether course was taught or if syllabus is a sample syllabus.
- A writing sample equivalent to a dissertation or book chapter, or a scholarly article.
The applicant’s last name should appear in the name of each document that is uploaded as part of the dossier. The cover letter can be addressed to Victoria Thompson, Search Committee Chair. Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at Victoria.Thompson@asu.edu.
Application deadline is December 26, 2017 at 11:59p.m. Eastern Standard Time. If not filled, completed applications will be reviewed every week thereafter until the search is closed. A background check is required for employment.
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Professor Victoria Thompson, Search Committee Chair. Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at Victoria.Thompson@asu.edu.
|Primary Category:||History Education
|Secondary Categories:||Early Modern History and Period Studies