Massachusetts Maritime Academy, Humanities
FY17-18 Full-time, tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor of Rhetoric and Composition
|Location:||Massachusetts, United States|
A special mission college within the Massachusetts state university system
Position: Full-time, tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor of Rhetoric
Posting: July 2017 Start date: March or September 2018
Position Number: FY17-18 (Revised July 2017)
Division: Academic; Humanities Department
Union Affiliation: Massachusetts State College Association (MSCA)
Application Deadline: Priority Deadline November 1, 2017; Open Until Filled
Supervision Received: Reports to the Chair of the Humanities Department and for review of assessment results to the
Vice President of Academic Affairs
Supervision Exercised: Supervises student personnel in areas of responsibility
Massachusetts Maritime Academy invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position as Assistant or Associate Professor of Rhetoric and Composition. A doctorate in Rhetoric and Composition or a related field and demonstrated excellence in the teaching of writing are required. In addition to teaching core courses, the successful candidate will develop upper-level writing and rhetoric courses.
MMA is a fully accredited, four-year, co-educational state university offering Bachelor and Master of Science degrees that are highly regarded in the worldwide maritime industry and beyond. Located at the mouth of the scenic Cape Cod Canal, MMA is an hour’s drive from the thriving urban communities of Boston and Providence and offers easy access to the pristine beaches of Cape Cod and Martha’s Vineyard.
- Ability to teach an academic course load of 12 credits per semester in English Composition, Technical Writing, Business Communications, Basic Writing, and other courses with opportunities to develop and teach upper-level courses in Rhetoric and Composition
- Ability to participate in Humanities Department assessment activities
- Teaching and advising in a four-year college setting
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Demonstrated record of excellence in teaching college-level writing courses
- A doctorate in Rhetoric and Composition
- Experience teaching based on current composition theories and best practices
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with faculty and administrators
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Tenure-track appointment at the Assistant Professor or higher level requires a doctoral degree in Rhetoric and Composition and significant teaching experience at the college level
- Experience with college-level writing program assessment and/or portfolio assessment
- Two or more years’ experience teaching composition at a college level
- Experience with various methods and means of instructional delivery
- Ability to adapt curriculum to various learning styles and needs
- Experience integrating critical thinking, global perspectives, and/or civic engagement into the curriculum
- Experience working with a Writing Resource Center
- Experience in teaching online courses
- Experience in teaching reading development
- Ability and willingness to assist with the Writing Resource Center
- Experience in grant writing
- Commensurate with experience and subject to the MSCA collective bargaining agreement plan. The Academy is
not sponsoring immigration visas at this time.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume/CV, an MMA application, Affirmative Action form and the contact information of five (5) professional references. These forms are located on the employment opportunities link under Human Resources on the MMA website www.maritime.edu. Applications may be attached and sent electronically to email@example.com. Alternatively, you may send your application materials by USPS to: Human Resources, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532. Applicants selected for interview must submit original transcripts and be prepared to deliver a fifteen minute presentation on a relevant topic. Finalist must complete a drug screening and background check.
MMA is an AA/EEO/Veteran/Disabled employer. Members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.