University of Strathclyde, History
Strathclyde-Shanghai Early Career Medical Humanities Fellowships 2017/8
|Institution Type:||College / University|
The Centre for the Social History of Health and Healthcare (CSHHH) at the University of Strathclyde, the Musto Center for Drug Policy Studies (MCDPS) and the Center for the History of Development (CHD) at Shanghai University invite applications for the above twelve-month Fellowships. They are aimed at candidates who will be in their fourth year of doctoral study or in the first two years of their postdoctoral career in the academic year 2017/8. Successful applicants will spend a year working at Shanghai University in the collaboration that has grown since 2012 between the two institutions in order to conduct personal research; to produce publications and postdoctoral funding applications; and to contribute to teaching in English for undergraduates and postgraduates. Up to four Fellowships are available.
- The Fellowship will provide the costs of one return airfare, visas, and a stipend of £12,000 to meet accommodation and living expenses. Fellows will also have access to an additional £1,000 for research trips and/or conference attendance.
- An award is intended to provide successful candidates with a twelve month period in China starting in September 2017. During this time the expectation is that Fellows will; provide teaching in English (no more than five hours a week); complete their thesis where not already submitted, or prepare it for publication if doctorate awarded; secure a book contract for their first monograph; complete at least one journal article; map out a postdoctoral project and prepare a funding application to secure resources for it.
- Strathclyde and Shanghai Universities will provide full access to all facilities at both institutions. Fellows will be based at the Baoshan campus of Shanghai University. Baoshan is among the most affordable places in Shanghai despite sitting only a half hour's direct train travel from the city centre, and the campus and surrounding area are pleasant environments in which to live and work; http://en.shu.edu.cn/Default.aspx
- Applications are welcome from those working on any aspect of the Medical Humanities, including, although not limited to, History, Literary Studies, Ethics and Philosophy, Law, Translation Studies, etc. There is no expectation that research will be focused on China or Asia, and no preference for any particular period or place.
- Successful candidates should acknowledge the CSHHH Glasgow at the University of Strathclyde, Shanghai University and the Wellcome Trust in all publications and academic activities which result from an award.
- Please submit an academic cv of no more than two sides of A4, a 250 word summary of research to date and a 250 word outline of proposed future research by noon (UK time) on April 12th 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit an academic cv of no more than two sides of A4, a 250 word summary of research to date and a 250 word outline of proposed future research by noon (UK time) on April 12th 2017 to email@example.com
|Secondary Categories:||History of Science, Medicine, and Technology
Social History / Studies