Mellon/ACLS Public Fellows - opportunities for recent humanities PhDs
|Location:||New York, United States|
The American Council of Learned Societies is pleased to announce the seventh annual competition of the Mellon/ACLS Public Fellows Program. In 2017, ACLS will place up to 22 recent humanities PhDs in two-year positions at diverse organizations in government and the nonprofit sector. This career-building initiative aims to demonstrate that the capacities developed in the advanced study of the humanities have wide application, both within and beyond the academy. The fellowship carries a stipend of $67,500, with health insurance for the fellow and up to $3,000 for professional development activities.
In 2017, Public Fellows have the opportunity to join one of the following organizations:
- Association of American Colleges & Universities (Washington, DC) – Associate Director for Diversity, Equity, and Student Success
- Association of College & Research Libraries (Chicago, IL) – Program Manager
- Boston Housing Authority (Boston, MA) – Program Analyst
- Brooklyn Academy of Music (Brooklyn, NY) – Program Analyst, Education and Community Engagement
- Community Partners (Los Angeles, CA) – Program Evaluator
- The Feminist Press (New York, NY) – Development Manager
- The Field Museum (Chicago, IL) – Public Engagement Manager, Diversity and Inclusion
- Free Press (Washington, DC, or Florence, MA) – Campaign Organizer
- Humanities Action Lab (Newark, NJ) – Program Manager
- International Student Exchange Programs (Arlington, VA) – Student Success Officer
- Minneapolis Institute of Art (Minneapolis, MN) – Content Analyst
- The Moth (New York, NY) – Marketing Manager
- National Conference of State Legislatures (Denver, CO) – Legislative Policy Specialist
- National Women’s Law Center (Washington, DC) – Policy Analyst
- Natural Resources Defense Council (Washington, DC) – International Campaign Advocate
- New America (Washington, DC) – Editor
- NYC Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs (New York, NY) – Policy Advisor
- The Public Theater (New York, NY) – Strategic Communications Manager
- Seattle Office of Arts & Culture (Seattle, WA) – Impact and Assessment Manager
- Twin Cities PBS (St. Paul, MN) – Strategic Impact Analyst
- Vera Institute of Justice (New Orleans, LA) – Senior Program Associate
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (San Francisco, CA) – Community Organizing Manager
Applicants must possess US citizenship or permanent resident status and have a PhD in the humanities or humanistic social sciences conferred between September 1, 2013, and June 18, 2017. Applicants must have defended and deposited their dissertations no later than April 6, 2017. The deadline for submitted applications is Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 8 pm EDT.
Applications will be accepted only through the ACLS online application system (OFA). Applicants should not contact any of the organizations directly. Please visit www.acls.org/programs/publicfellowscomp/ for complete position descriptions, eligibility criteria, and application information.
This program is supported by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Applications must be submitted via ACLS's online fellowship system (ofa.acls.org). Program information and position descriptions are available at www.acls.org/programs/publicfellowscomp/. Questions may be directed to email@example.com.