Newberry Library, Center for Renaissance Studies
Postdoctoral Scholar in Italian Paleography
|Location:||Illinois, United States|
Summary: Reporting to the Director of the Center for Renaissance Studies, the Postdoctoral Scholar will assist with preparing materials for inclusion in an online handbook for Italian paleography, 1300-1700.
- Assisting with the selection of original source documents for inclusion in the site;
- Preparing database entries for them;
- Drafting reference resources;
- Translating manuscripts and secondary sources into English;
- Encoding the documents and reference resources.
- PhD in field relating to Italian medieval and/or early modern studies (e.g., history, art history, philosophy, literature);
- Exceptional writing and editing skills in English;
- Fluent reading knowledge of Italian in its modern and early forms;
- Experience with archival research in Italy;
- Coursework in paleography in early modern Italian;
- Familiarity with Access database and TEI encoding knowledge preferred (or ability to learn new applications quickly).
Schedule: Two-year full-time, grant-funded, exempt position; 35 hours a week, Monday- Friday.
Benefits: First year – health, dental, vision and group life insurance, fifteen vacation days, two personal days and paid holidays. After one year of service – twenty vacation days, long-term disability, long-term care, and retirement plan available.
Position Available: August 1, 2017
Application Deadline: Priority given to applications received by 2/28/17, but applications taken until position is filled.
About the Newberry Library: The Newberry Library, open to the public without charge, is an independent research library dedicated to the advancement and dissemination of knowledge, especially in the humanities. The Newberry Library acquires and preserves a broad array of special collections research materials relating to the civilizations of Europe and the Americas. It promotes and provides for their effective use, fostering research, teaching, publication, and life-long learning, as well as civic engagement. In service to its diverse community, the Newberry Library encourages intellectual pursuit in an atmosphere of free inquiry and sustains the highest standards of collection preservation, bibliographic access, and reader services.
Send cover letter, cv, and contact information for three references to the Director of Human Resources. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Primary Category:||Italian History / Studies