Chulalongkorn University, Bachelor of Arts in Language and Culture (BALAC)
Full-Time Lecturer in Cultural Studies at an international program (based in Bangkok, Thailand)
|Institution Type:||College / University|
POSITION VACANT: LECTURER IN CULTURAL STUDIES
The Faculty of Arts at Chulalongkorn University is seeking to appoint a Lecturer in Cultural Studies to teach in its Bachelor of Arts in Language and Culture (BALAC) International Program. Applicants should have a completed PhD in a related field and be ready to start on 1 August 2017.
Position Title: Lecturer in Cultural Studies
Department: Bachelor of Arts in Language and Culture (BALAC)
Position Status: Full-time, continuing (subject to annual review)
Commencement: 1 August, 2017
Remuneration: The Position comes with a competitive base salary that is commensurate with qualifications, teaching and research experience.
Application Close: 28 February, 2017
Chulalongkorn University is Thailand’s oldest and most respected university and has an
outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. It employs over 2,800
faculty supporting over 38,000 students.
Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Arts has a proud history of intellectual rigor and
offers a vibrant research and teaching environment. The Bachelor of Arts in Language and
Culture (BALAC) is the Faculty of Arts International Program. Established in 2008, the
BALAC Program brings together an exciting group of academics and students who
participate in a wide array of interdisciplinary undergraduate studies in the liberal arts and
Applications are currently invited for a lectureship in Cultural Studies in the BALAC
Program. The appointee will be expected to coordinate and teach a suite of subjects in the
Program’s core areas of Cultural Studies. In addition, the appointee will be expected to
pursue an active research program, participate fully in the Faculty’s research culture and
undertake appropriate administrative roles and curriculum development as required.
A willingness to engage with and teach a culturally diverse student cohort is vital, and
experience with university teaching in an international context would be an advantage.
Essential selection criteria
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must have:
• A completed PhD in Cultural Studies or a related discipline.
• Demonstrated teaching experience at the university level.
• Excellent English-language communication skills.
• An ability to teach in two or more of the following areas: film and media studies; cultural theory; sociology of everyday life; global studies; textual analysis; gender studies; cyber studies.
• A willingness and ability to commence duties by1 August, 2017.
Desirable selection criteria
Preference will be given to applicants who have:
• A proven record of peer-reviewed research publication.
• Experience in the delivery and administration of university curriculum.
Remuneration package: The Position comes with a competitive base salary that is commensurate with qualifications, teaching and research experience. In addition, this salary could be supplemented by an additional “research payment” that is payable on fulfillment of demonstrable research output requirements (such as international peer-reviewed publications per year of contract)
Application process: Interested applicants are invited to lodge an application to the BALAC
Program on or before 28 February, 2017. Applications should consist of:
• A covering letter that supports the application with reference to the selection criteria.
• A curriculum vitae detailing qualifications and experience.
• The names, positions, and contact details of two (2) academic referees.
• Documentary evidence to support academic qualifications.
• Sample of academic research/writing (e.g., journal article, book chapter, conference paper, research essay)
Closing Date: 28 February, 2017 (15:00 pm Bangkok time)
Candidates short-listed for interview will be contacted by the University. If you do not
receive a communication from the University within 1 week after the closing date, please
assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
Applications should be addressed to the Program Director, Associate Professor Dr. Kingkarn
Thepkanjana, Dean of the Faculty of Arts, and lodged either via postal delivery or email:
Postal address: BALAC, Faculty of Arts, Chulalongkorn University, Pathumwan, BKK 10330
|Primary Category:||Cultural History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Digital Humanities
Film and Film History
Political History / Studies
Urban History / Studies
Women, Gender, and Sexuality
World History / Studies