San Jose State University, Art and Art History
Art/Digital Media Art (Emphasis in 3D)
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||California, United States|
Description: The Department of Art & Art History is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time, tenure-track position in Digital Media Art with an emphasis on 3D software and digital fabrication. The ideal candidate will possess critical and art historical knowledge combined within a contemporary practice focused on digital and network-based artworks. The candidate will develop and teach courses that serve a wide range of undergraduate and graduate students with a focus on emerging trends in digital media art and fabrication using 3D software and visualization environments. The candidate will serve to support multidisciplinary art, innovation and technology initiatives within the department and across the university. The ideal candidate will possess experience with multidisciplinary collaboration across the arts and sciences to address aesthetic, social, and cultural trends in digital media art and technology.
- Master of Fine Arts or Ph.D. in the field of Digital Media Art, or related field;
- A strong theoretical understanding of art and technology;
- A portfolio of creative work demonstrating artistic achievement in 3D software and fabrication;
- Teaching experience using Autodesk and other industry-standard 3D software packages;
- Demonstrated artistic achievement as evidenced by a record artistic exhibition and academic research at the intersection of contemporary art and digital technology;
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population, such as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching, and other comparable experiences;
- Minimum of two years teaching experience at the university level is
- Teach existing and develop new multidisciplinary graduate and undergraduate art courses in 3D software, data visualization, and web technologies with a focus on contemporary art practices;
- Work across disciplines in the arts to participate in emerging initiatives at the intersection of art, innovation, and technology with a focus emerging digital fabrication techniques and technologies;
- Candidate must address the needs of a student population of great diversity—in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language, and academic preparation—through course materials, teaching strategies, and advisement;
- Effectiveness in academic assignment; service on department, college, and university committees; and continuing creative and professional activity are required to achieve tenure and promotion.
Starting Date: August 21, 2017
Eligibility: Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Application Procedures: For full consideration, a letter of application, a link to an online portfolio or body of work, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching interests/philosophy and research/creative activity plans, three current letters of recommendation should be uploaded to apply.interfolio.com/37576 by 12 p.m. on February 24, 2017. Please note that original copies of all transcripts will be required from all finalists after preliminary screening. Questions about the position can be addressed to: Ms. Elizabeth Quintana at email@example.com. Please include Job Opening ID (JOID) 23825 on all correspondence.
The Art Department offers BA degrees in Art Education and Studio Practice, BA and MA in Art History & Visual Culture, and BFA and MFA degrees in Digital Media Art, Photography, Pictorial Art, and Spatial Art to approximately 450 undergraduate majors and 70 graduate students.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. The campus is located on the southern end of San Francisco Bay in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000), hub of the world-famous Silicon Valley high-technology research and development center. Many of California’s most popular national, recreational, and cultural attractions are conveniently close. A member of the 23- campus CSU system, San José State University enrolls approximately 33,000 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Additional Salary Information: Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The Department, founded in 1911, offers BA, BFA, MA, and MFA degrees and is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD). What we offer to prospective students: award-winning faculty and outstanding technical and administrative staff; a "best-in-the-west" combination of facilities for making, exhibiting, and researching art across many media; commitment to creative and critical thinking; opportunities to practice innovation across media; and a friendly and supportive community.
For full consideration, a letter of application, a link to an online portfolio or body of work, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching interests/philosophy and research/creative activity plans, three current letters of recommendation should be uploaded to apply.interfolio.com/37576 by 12 p.m. on February 24, 2017 (deadline extended). Please note that original copies of all transcripts will be required from all finalists after preliminary screening. Questions about the position can be addressed to: Ms. Elizabeth Quintana at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Job Opening ID (JOID) 23825 on all correspondence.
|Secondary Categories:||Fine Arts