University of Cape Town, Historical Studies
Senior Lecturer/Lecturer: Historical Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
Applications are invited for three full-time permanent appointments at Lecturer (1 post) and Senior Lecturer (2 posts) levels in the Department of Historical Studies, University of Cape Town. The Department is a leading centre for critical historical scholarship in Africa. Information about the Department can be found at http://www.historicalstudies.uct.ac.za/. Preference may be given to candidates whose research and teaching interests complement those already in the department.
- A PhD in History or a cognate discipline for appointment. Exceptional candidates nearing the completion of PhD may also be considered for the Lecturer position.
- For the Senior Lecturer positions, a track record of research and peer-reviewed publications on histories of Africa and/ or the Global South. For the Lecturer position, publications will be an advantage.
- Undergraduate teaching experience.
- For the Senior Lecturer positions, postgraduate teaching and supervision experience.
We particularly encourage application from scholars pursuing innovative research in any field of intellectual, cultural, political and social history of modern Africa; histories of gender and sexuality; histories of violence and racism; critical economic histories; and connected and comparative histories of colonial and postcolonial global south. Candidates would be expected to have strong empirical grounding in their fields of specialization, a collaborative spirit, theoretical fluency, and ability and willingness to develop and teach critical and imaginative courses beyond their immediate research fields. Experience in critically using non-English sources in their own research will be considered a strength.
- Teach at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Supervise postgraduate student research.
- Undertake and publish own research.
- Carry out administrative responsibilities at departmental level as required.
The annual remuneration packages, including benefits for 2016 at the respective levels are as follows:
- Lecturer : R 558 915
- Senior Lecturer : R 687 208
Complete applications will include:
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, including the names and e-mail addresses of three referees.
- A cover letter of no more than 2 single-spaced pages, which includes a brief statement of teaching philosophy, a short description of past and current research, and an outline of future research plans.
- One writing sample of no more than 30pp. (for example, an article, conference paper or excerpt drawn from a dissertation chapter).
- A proposal for a twelve-week lecture course intended for final-year undergraduates in History. A course proposal may include:
- A short 150-word introduction to the nature, contents and aims of the course, indicating the main questions, the types of study materials, and the skills involved.
- (At most) twelve explicit sub-themes expressed clearly in the titles of weekly lectures.
- Specific texts, with full citation details, for each week’s theme (not to exceed three for each week).
To apply, please e-mail the below documents to Ms Lily Nombombo at email@example.com:
Telephone: 021 650 5689
Reference number: E16146
Closing date: 24 October 2016
|Primary Category:||African History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Colonial and Post-Colonial History / Studies