University of Sydney, Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
Lecturer in English with expertise in early medieval literature and/or language
|Institution Type:||College / University|
Lecturer in English
School of Literature, Art and Media
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Reference no. 1233/0716
• Opportunity for a scholar with expertise in early medieval literature and/or language
• Contribute to a world-leading department
• Full-time, fixed-term for 2 years, remuneration package: Lecturer (Academic Level B) $117K - $139K p.a. (which includes a base salary of $99 - $117K p.a. plus leave loading and up to 17% employer’s contribution to superannuation).
The University of Sydney is Australia's first university and has an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. It employs over 7600 permanent staff, supporting over 60,000 students.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers one of the most comprehensive research and teaching environments in humanities in the Asia-Pacific region and is regularly ranked in the top twenty faculties of its kind in the world.
The School of Literature, Art and Media is a vibrant school whose pedagogic practice, research profile and external engagements are shaped by lively synergies between traditional disciplines such as art history, English and linguistics, and newer formations such as media and communications, film studies and museum studies. The school is home to The Medieval and Early Modern Centre, the Sydney node of the ARC Centre of Excellence for the History of Emotions, and Celtic Studies.
The Department of English is the oldest and largest in Australia and its staff teach across the full range of literature in extensive undergraduate and postgraduate programs. In the most recent ERA research assessment exercise, the ‘Literature’ area delivered the highest score possible (‘5’). The department is home to world-leading researchers and a vital research culture.
In this lectureship opportunity, you will:
• teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses with a focus on old and middle English literature and language
• make a contribution to the research strengths and outputs of the school
• supervise, where required, higher degree research students
• participate, where appropriate, in interdisciplinary collaborations within the University and beyond
• contribute to academic administration.
Applicants for this position will need to have:
• a completed or imminent PhD in an area of old or middle English literature and/or language
• the ability to teach old English language and literature, and middle English literature
• teaching experience at tertiary level
• an established research profile and detailed and achievable research plans
• academic administration skills
• excellent teamwork and communication skills.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a thriving department in a world-class university which attracts excellent students from Australia and overseas.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit www.sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number for more information and to apply.
CLOSING DATE: 11:30pm 1 September 2016 (Sydney time)
The University is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups, including women and people with disabilities are encouraged. As the University of Sydney has established a scheme to increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff employed across the institution, applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are also encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.