The HistoryMakers Database & Technical Project Manager
|Location:||Illinois, United States|
The HistoryMakers, a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit African American video oral history archive, seeks to hire a full time Database & Technical Project Manager to work in a fast-paced, cross-platform MAC/OS, Windows environment. This a newly created position and part of the responsibilities will be serving as the Project Manager for a Mellon Foundation grant that will overseeing the creation of a new online platform combining The HistoryMakers website with The HistoryMakers Digital Archive and the ScienceMakers Digital Archive along with associated metadata. In doing so, you will be working with staff from Brandeis University, Carnegie Mellon University and a consortium of other universities and groups. Currently, Harvard University, Yale University, Princeton University, Brandeis University, Boston University, Emory University, Northwestern University, Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Chicago subscribed to The HistoryMakers Digital Archive.
1. The HistoryMakers Promo Video:
2. The HistoryMakers’ Future:
Site password: review1234
3. The HistoryMakers Library of Congress Celebration:
Site password: thm
Here is video description of The HistoryMakers digital archive showing how to use our digital archive.
The passcode is thm.
Below is a link to The HistoryMakers digital archive.
User Name: BTS2013 Password: 123456
Provides technical project management services for assigned project(s) to help develop The HistoryMakers Website and Digital Archive into an innovative online digital platform that will connect users with our content and help maximize our available resources. This position will permit The HistoryMakers to effectively manage a complex technical project around cost, time, scope and quality standards.
Essential & Other Functions
- Audits The HistoryMakers FileMaker Pro, Access and MySql database systems and develops plans, schematics and workflows for the proposed new systems.
- Supervises team in leading successful assigned project. Determines the project priorities, and communicates those priorities to everyone involved. Creates and executes project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements. Identifies resources needed and assigns individual responsibilities. Manages day-to-day operational aspects of project and scope. Reviews deliverables prepared by the team. Leads best practice based methodology during initiation, planning, execution and closeout phases by enforcing consistent standards. Minimizes exposure and manages project risk. Ensures project documents are complete and current and even ahead of schedule. (Estimated 40% of time spent)
- Directs the multi-functional effort in liaising between all relevant project constituencies. Identifies projects needs, and with the project sponsor, determines appropriate strategy and plan of action. Work may include:
Writes, reviews and edits requirements, specifications, processes and recommendations related to assigned project. Manage completion of functional specifications and design specifications. Ensures issues are identified, tracked, reported on and resolved in a timely manner. Works to identify required changes, and communicate needed changes to the cross-institutional team. Communicates effectively to identify needs and determine alternative solutions. Provides expert counsel and leadership on both the technical strategy and potential risks. (Estimated 40% of time spent)
- Work Experience: >8 years of total work-related experience
- Supervisory / Management Experience: 5-8 years of supervisory/management experience. Also needs prior coding technical experience with
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Has the authority to direct the daily work activities of assigned team members in coordination with their manager (when applicable). Has the authority to recommend the following actions; hiring, termination and corrective action.
Written/Verbal Communication: Handles broad-based complex information in support of the project. Presents to team, vendor, stakeholder and client audiences. Can negotiate, motivate and persuade others.
- Technical Knowledge: Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Project or equivalent is required. Experience with web-design standards and methods required. Significant expertise with video hosting services (like Ensemble) and cloud-based services, responsive video delivery platforms (e.g. cell, tablets, laptops, desktops, etc.), HTML5, Amazon Web Services, SQL, Drupal (or equivalent), Filemaker Pro, PHP, E-Commerce and C++ also needed.
- Collaboration/Service: Has frequent contact with project team, client, vendors and project stakeholders.
- Problem Solving: Must develop solutions using substantial creativity, resourcefulness, innovation, negotiation and diplomacy.
- Bachelor's degree: Required
- Certificate: Project Management Professional (PMP) - Preferred
- Budget Responsibilities: Monitoring and reporting on project budget.
- Travel: < 20 %
Skills & Knowledge
Strong technical skills in a variety of applications and web tools. Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to be an effective communicator with technical staff, project team, client, vendor(s) and stakeholders. Ability to work with various constituencies and facilitate collaboration between them. Experience required with software development methodologies, managing diverse and challenging multifunctional teams, bringing groups to a common understanding and delivering successful outcomes.
Please send resumes to: