McGill University, Faculty of Arts
Director, School of Religious Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
McGill University seeks to appoint a Director of the School of Religious Studies within the Faculty of Arts. The Director will hold a tenured position in the School of Religious Studies in the Faculty of Arts.
The Director will build on the School’s strong foundation in religious and theological studies, provide collegial leadership in establishing strategic priorities for the School, and implement short and long-term recruitment and development goals.
Reporting to the Dean of Arts, the Director will oversee all aspects of the School’s activities. We seek a scholar with established expertise in one or more of the relevant fields of religious studies, and whose work and experience can also engage and enhance the School’s initiatives in religion and globalization, interfaith studies, and religion and public policy. Appointment to a Canada Research Chair (Tier I) may be possible if appropriate.
As the first Director since the integration of Religious Studies as a School in the Faculty of Arts (effective May, 2016), the successful candidate will play a key role in shaping the future development of the School of Religious Studies at McGill University.
The Search Committee prioritizes these qualities in an ideal candidate:
• A strong record of accomplishment in research, teaching and academic administration.
• The commitment and qualities of academic leadership required to support and enhance the School’s mission and its major areas of research and teaching.
• An ability to work in a collaborative and collegial manner, encouraging the professional development and success of all students, faculty and staff.
• A commitment to long-term institutional collaboration with the School’s partners including affiliated theological colleges.
• The skills to deal effectively and proactively with the financial and budgetary affairs of the School.
• A proven capacity for building relations with governmental agencies, individual benefactors, and community partners and for attracting external funding for research and scholarship in collaboration with University Advancement.
• Proficiency to work in English as well as proficiency, or a real commitment to develop proficiency, to work in French.
McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to further diversification. All qualified candidates will be considered; however, in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The review of applications will begin May 2, 2016 and will continue until the position is filled. The appointment as Director is for a five-year term (renewable). Applications and nominations should include a letter of introduction, curriculum vitae and the names of at least three references. All materials, including referees’ letters of recommendation, must be submitted electronically to the Academic Jobs Online website at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/7148.
Inquiries should be addressed to Professor Hudson Meadwell, Interim Dean, Faculty of Arts, McGill University via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Primary Category:||Religious Studies and Theology