Southern Utah University, Hisotry, Sociology, and Anthropology
Assistant Professor of History; Tenure Track
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Utah, United States|
|Position:||Tenure Track Faculty|
Southern Utah University is a comprehensive, regional master degree-granting university and the state of Utah's designated public liberal arts and sciences university. Located in Cedar City, Utah, it is an accredited, state-supported institution with an enrollment of nearly 8,000 students. Surrounded by national parks, monuments, forests and wilderness areas that draw millions of visitors annually from around the world and home to the Utah Shakespeare Festival, SUU is only 40 minutes from great snow skiing and year-round golfing. It is located 2 ½ hours from Las Vegas and 3 ½ hours from Salt Lake City.
Southern Utah University seeks applicants for Assistant Professor of History. This position is full-time, 9-month, tenure-track. The desired start date is August 16, 2016. Salary is Commensurate with qualifications & experience; excellent benefits.
1. Successful candidates will have expertise in nineteenth century American history and feel comfortable teaching the Civil War, Reconstruction, and Gilded Age periods.
2. Preference will be given to specialists in American foreign relations, economics, and/or political history.
3. Additional duties include teaching the American Institutions survey course.
4. Typical workload is 12 credit hours (4 courses) per semester.
5. Design new curriculum as needed.
6. Conduct scholarly research and creative activities.
7. Service to department, university, and community, as well as participation in related professional organizations.
8. Other assignments as determined by department chair and dean.
Required Education, Training, and Skills:
1. Successful candidates will have PhD. in History, at time of appointment.
2. Teaching experience at the college level highly desirable.
3. Demonstrated record of scholarly publication highly desirable.
In accordance with Utah State Code 53A-3-410, appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful passing of a background check.
Applicants must apply online at http://jobs.suu.edu (Job # 1500339) or use the direct link at
Individuals are asked to attach, electronically, the following required documents: a cover letter, resume/CV, copies of unofficial transcripts, relevant teaching materials (.e.g. sample syllabi, teaching philosophy, and evaluations), statement of research philosophy, statement of teaching philosophy, and the names and contact information of three professional references.
First consideration of applications will begin March 3, 2016; the position will remain open until filled. If you have questions or problems with the application process, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 435-586-7754.
Southern Utah University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
|Primary Category:||American History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Colonial and Post-Colonial History / Studies