Front End Web Developer / IT Senior Associate, Level 2 (Provisional)
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||New York, United States|
Position Title: Front End Web Developer / IT Senior Associate, Level 2 (Provisional)
Job ID: 13789
Closing Date: November 15, 2015
Campus Specific Information:
The Graduate Center (GC) defines the standard of contemporary graduate education: rigorous academic training and globally significant research. lt is recognized for outstanding scholarship across the humanities, sciences, and social sciences, and is integral to the intellectual and cultural vitality of New York City. Through its extensive public programs, The Graduate Center hosts a wide range of events, lectures, conferences, book discussions, art exhibits, concerts, and dance and theater that enrich and inform.
Information Technology (IT) is the division of the Graduate Center responsible for voice, video, and data systems and services. The mission of this unit is to promote, facilitate, and support the effective use of technology in the learning process, in instruction and research, and in processing and accessing institutional information.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of System Services (Computer Systems Manager, Level 4), the Front End Web Developer is focused on the translation and implementation of UI/UX designs to actual code that produce visual elements of the project. This position works closely with Communications and Marketing Department in developing new user-facing features and determining a consistent design standard.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the development of highly responsive websites utilizing methods of responsive web design and such technologies as HTML5, CSS3, Bootstrap, etc. both in the context of CMSs such as Kentico and Wordpress, as well as, standalone environments;
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use;
- Partner with Communications & Marketing Department and other GC departments to collaboratively develop and maintain new user-facing features;
- Collaborate with IT colleagues to accomplish advancement of GC website;
- Determine the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs and provide expert feedback to the web project team on specifications and design recommendations;
- Provide recommendations on front-end optimization and performance techniques to improve efficiency;
- Lead projects to implement new design initiatives;
- Create and promote design standards across all interfaces;
- Stay current by tracking emerging Internet technologies; participate in professional development opportunities;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
I.T. Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Senior Associates perform a range of work in development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving highly complex projects. They have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects, and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group.
I.T. Senior Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines, decision-making ability in situations related to those disciplines, and be able to serve as a resource in these areas. They may contribute to decisions on I.T. policies and technical standards.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
1. High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
2. An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
3. Demonstrated English Language proficiency
4. A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Strong proficiency in progressive enhancement & responsive web design
- Proficiency in web markup, including HTML5, CSS3
- Experience leading large, complex projects
- Proficiency in asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and Ajax
- Skilled at cross-browser compatibility issues and solutions
- Experience in navigating image and video editing tools specifically optimized for the web
- Experience in custom theming in Wordpress, Drupal and/or Kentico
- Experience working with code versioning tools, such as GIT
- Advance proficiency in SEO principles and their application
- Experience working with CMSs; Kentico preferred, Wordpress a plus
- Experience with OOP using either PHP, C# or equivalent
- Solid communication skills to translate needs of clients to executable designs
How to Apply: