University of Chicago, Center for Latin American Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Illinois, United States|
The University of Chicago Center for Latin American Studies invites applications for a postdoctoral position as a Lecturer in Latin American Studies to begin in Autumn 2015. The Latin American Studies Program includes an interdisciplinary M.A. Program in Latin American Studies serving students with research interests in social sciences and humanities, and a B.A. major in Latin American Studies that has a social sciences emphasis. Recent PhDs (within the past six years) in the humanities, social sciences, or area studies who deal with Latin American issues are encouraged to apply. Relevant disciplines include sociology, political science, anthropology, history, literature, and media studies. The successful candidate will teach an M.A. Proseminar (meets over two quarters), advise M.A. students, and will develop one graduate/undergraduate course and two undergraduate-only courses in their own specialty. This is a twelve-month appointment. The appointment is for one year, with the possibility of renewal for a second year dependent upon performance review.
The Lecturer in Latin American Studies is responsible for:
- In collaboration with Latin American Studies faculty, teaching the M.A. Proseminar, a graduate-level academic seminar designed to give incoming Latin American Studies M.A. students a critical understanding of the major theoretical approaches, principal research methods, and current trends in Latin American Studies and to help students develop the proposal for their master’s thesis.
- Teaching one undergraduate/graduate course in the incumbent’s field of expertise.
- Teaching two undergraduate-only courses in the incumbent's field of expertise.
- General academic and career advising of M.A. students in Latin American Studies.
- Directing individual B.A. Papers and M.A. theses, as needed.
All requirements toward the PhD degree must be completed by August 31, 2015. Teaching experience is required. The ideal candidate will be able to give theoretical and methodological advice to master’s level students with a broad range of social science and humanities interests.
To apply for this position, please go to the University of Chicago Academic Career Opportunities website https://academiccareers.uchicago.edu and select requisition #02425. Applicants are required to upload the following materials – cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching statement, dissertation abstract, reference contact information, and up to three writing samples/publications. Under separate cover, please have three letters of recommendation sent to the Center for Latin American Studies, 5848 South University Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637.
To receive full consideration, all application materials must be received by February 28, 2015.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status or status as an individual with disability.
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity / Disabled / Veterans Employer.
Center for Latin American Studies, University of Chicago
|Primary Category:||Latin American and Caribbean History / Studies