IT Assistant, Level 2 (Provisional) - IT Support
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||New York, United States|
IT Assistant, Level 2 (Provisional) - IT Support
Job ID: 10917
Department: Macaulay Honors College
Compensation: New Hire: $46,704* / Incumbent: $52,776
*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
Closing Date: August 15, 2014
Campus Specific Information
Inaugurated in the Fall of 2001 as the CUNY Honors College, the William E. Macaulay Honors College of the City University of New York (MHC) is dedicated to providing outstanding educational opportunities for academically gifted students from the five boroughs of New York City and beyond. The Honors College program includes generous financial support for students who are designated University Scholars upon admission. In addition, the Honors College offers its students unique interdisciplinary seminars focusing on New York City, access to instructional technology, dedicated mentors and advisors, internships, study abroad experiences and a Cultural Passport that provides entrée to the vast cultural resources of New York City. The Honors College operates in consortium on eight CUNY campuses: Baruch College, Brooklyn College, City College, Hunter College, John Jay College, Lehman College, Queens College, and the College of Staten Island. Currently, the Honors College has approximately 1,200 University Scholars enrolled on all eight campuses.
Reporting to the Associate Dean of Teaching, Learning and Technology and working in collaboration with members of the IT Department, the IT Assistant, Level 2/IT Support Specialist will provide hardware and software support to the faculty, staff, and students of the William E. Macaulay Honors College. The IT Assistant, Level 2/IT Support Specialist will assist the Network/System Manager and IT Department in maintenance, implementation, troubleshooting and end-user support for server and desktop applications, as well as multimedia and IP telephony systems.
The duties include, but are not limited to:
- First-response help desk and technical support for end users and the Network/System Manager.
- Assist in troubleshooting, repairing, and replacing electronic equipment including drives, printers, video, and audio hardware.
- Wireless network assistance.
- Assist in planning, analyzing, and maintaining: Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X servers; Desktop Computers; Network Infrastructure; and Oracle/SQL database servers.
- Develop and maintain security procedures for software, networks, and databases.
- Perform preventive routine maintenance and adjustments according to specified guidelines and procedures.
- Prepare proposals and written reports and participate in task forces to resolve security and configuration issues.
- Evaluate and interact with vendors regarding AV and IT infrastructure.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
I.T. Assistants perform entry-level professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Assistants work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar based on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving minor technology problems, monitoring activities, and maintaining documentation. They have latitude for independent initiative and judgment, under supervision.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
1. High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
2. A minimum of six months of full-time experience in a computer or technology-related position. Experience that is more than 20 hours per week and less than 35 hours per week may be counted at 50% of the requirement (i.e., two months of part time experience equal to one month full time experience)
3. Additional experience and/or education that can be met by ONE of the following: An additional three years and six months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; an Associate's degree plus 18 months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
4. Demonstrated English Language proficiency
5. A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
- Bachelor's degree
- Excellent communication, writing, and customer service skills
- Experience with Macintosh hardware and software
- Networking (wireless and wired) support experience
- Knowledge of server and desktop software (Windows, PHP, SQL, Apache, Linux, Mac
- At least two years of experience with IT support (higher education experience desirable)
- Some knowledge in the following areas: VMware virtualization, HP ProLiant servers and Storage Cisco switches and routers, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, VPN, and TCP/IP stack, Exchange 2007 and 2010, WordPress and Drupal
How to Apply:
***If you are unable to upload your application please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***