University of Kansas, International & Area Studies, University of Kansas Libraries
Librarian for African and Global & International Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Kansas, United States|
Overview: The University of Kansas Libraries seeks a dynamic, innovative and collaborative individual to advance the Libraries' engagement with research, teaching and scholarship in support of African and Global & International Studies. This is a full-time, 12-month tenure-track faculty position.
70% Professional Responsibilities
- Build, evaluate, and assess assigned collections through review and selection of materials related to African Studies, Global & International Studies, and other assigned disciplines, including materials in English and foreign languages.
- Collaborate with faculty and instructors in African Studies, Global & International Studies, and other assigned disciplines to teach research skills through course integrated instruction sessions, assignments, and assessment tools.
- Provide specialized reference and consultation services to faculty in assigned academic units, students, researchers, visiting scholars, and the general public whose research relates to the assigned regions and disciplines.
- Work collaboratively to develop and maintain website information, web-based research guides and finding aids relevant to the areas supported.
- Represent KU Libraries in regional, national, and international professional organizations of relevance to African and Global & International Studies. Participate in regional, national, and international consortial collaborations.
- Actively communicate issues implicit in scholarly communication and open access in discussions with colleagues and with the KU community. Attend training and events designed and developed to promote understanding of trends and best practices in scholarly communication. Reflects this understanding in his/her work as a librarian at KU.
- Actively participate in, and advocate for, the educational role of the Libraries through dynamic engagement on campus teaching and research, campus collaborations, or staff development and training. Identifies and makes use of teaching opportunities in any circumstance, promotes the Libraries instructional resources and support, and obtains instructional expertise from colleagues as appropriate.
- Advance the Libraries' priorities and strategic directions through active participation in pursuits such as cross-functional initiatives, cross-operational teams, project teams and/or task forces.
- Contributes to the profession's collective knowledge by engaging in scholarly research activity. Research may involve the publication of articles, books, book reviews, grant-supported inquiry, or editorial work.
- Engages in service to the Libraries, the University and to professional organizations by participating in committee work, projects, and other contributory achievements.
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent from a foreign institution by date of appointment.
- Minimum of two years post-secondary coursework in African studies or in a supporting discipline with significant African focus; or equivalent work experience related to Africa or the African diaspora.
- Language competency in English as demonstrated by college coursework, proficiency assessment scores (e.g., TOEFL), native speaker, extended foreign residence in an English-speaking country; or other demonstrated competency measure.
- Effective written communication skills in English as demonstrated in the candidate's application materials, examples of written work, and/or publications.
Applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled, but you must complete the application data form at KU's online job site (https://jobs.ku.edu) and attach the required documents. The first review is August 21, 2014 and the position will remain open until filled.
Complete applications include:
For additional information, visit www.lib.ku.edu and select Employment Opportunities.
For questions contact: Leah Nelson, Office Assistant, 785-864-3103 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Primary Category:||Library and Information Science
|Secondary Categories:||African History / Studies