University of Kansas, Humanities & Western Civilization
Lecturer/ Academic Program Associate
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Kansas, United States|
Department Name: KU Humanities & Western Civilization
Official Title: Lecturer/Academic Program Associate
Working Title: Lecturer/Academic Program Associate
FTE: 1.0 FTE; 12-month appointment
Description: Lecturer (.75)/Academic Program Associate (.25) in the Humanities and Western Civilization Program, 12-month appointment
Academic Program Associate (.25)
- assisting the Associate Director in the training, supervision, and evaluation of GTAs,including those assigned to HWC 175 Kansas Environment and Culture
- assisting the Director in the design and implementation of LA&S 474 Senior Seminar for the non-major BGS
- assisting in the collection, review, and preparation of course data for HWC’s KU Core courses
- participation in HWC governance committees (e.g., Program Committee)
- Teaching three courses per fall and spring semesters, one course during the summer;
- Assignment of courses according to the needs of the Program, including but not limited to HWC 175 Kansas Environment and Culture, HWC 150 Civilizations and the Individual, LA&S 474 Senior Seminar (courses both on-site and on-line)
- Prepare for and attend all class meetings, usually three hours per section. In case of absence, the lecturer must make arrangements for a substitute to teach class. Classes should not be cancelled.
- Develop assignments, design class activities, respond to and evaluate student work; assign grades.
- Adhere to program, College, and University policies
- Hold regular office hours for students involved in classes taught. A minimum of three posted office hours each week is required. These office hours should be dived over at least two days. The lecturer should be available for reasonable appointments if a student cannot meet during scheduled office hours. Attend at least one professional development workshop annually.
- Participation in academic misconduct hearings as needed
- Ph.D. or ABD in a Humanities discipline or related field is expected by the start date of the appointment (June 9, 2014)
- Post-secondary teaching experience.
Rationale: As the Humanities and Western Civilization Program prepares to offer HWC 175 Kansas Environment and Culture for an increasing international student population and to administer LA&S 474 Senior Seminar for the non-major BGS, additional resources are needed both for the design and implementation of these courses. We believe that a combination lecturer/administrative associate position, with emphasis on teaching but with some administrative duties will address those needs
Salary: $40,000 commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Application Review Date: June 6. 2014
Please apply at: http://employment.ku.edu/academic/830BR *Completed Application Includes: Letter of application or Statement of intent, CV and 3 references.
Review of applications begins June 6, 2014 and may continue beyond this date if needed to identify a qualified pool of candidates. To ensure consideration apply before the application review date.
Thomas Shump, email@example.com