Senior Scientific Coordinator (full-time) for English Translation Project of Document Edition
|Position:||Editor, Research Professional|
One Senior Scientific Coordinator (full-time) for English Translation Project of Document Edition
The Federal Archives, the Institute of Contemporary History and the University of Freiburg in cooperation with Yad Vashem invite for applications for the position of a Scientific Coordinator for the following project:
Complete English translation of the Document Edition: “The Persecution and Destruction of the European Jews by Nazi Germany 1933-1945” (www.edition-judenverfolgung.de)
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University Degree in History or closely related subject
- Candidates will have completed a PhD in a relevant topic and be able to demonstrate a developing record of publications
- Profound knowledge of Holocaust History, History of WW II and Jewish History in Europe
- Native or bilingual proficiency in English
- Full proficiency in German
- Additional Knowledge of one or more of the following languages (French, Polish, Russian, Yiddish) is welcome
- Working experience in historical document editing or editing experience in publication houses in the humanities
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- ability to work independently and interact effectively with other staff, editorial board and the staff of the German document edition
- Knowledge of databases in historiography (XML-based editing) is welcome
The successful candidate is expected to coordinate the translation project of the German-language edition: “Die Verfolgung und Ermordung der europäischen Juden durch das nationalsozialistische Deutschland 1933-1945”. This edition will comprise 16 volumes with over 5.000 documents of victims, perpetrators and bystanders of the Holocaust. All important stages and aspects of the persecution and destruction of the Jewish populations in Europe will be presented in the edition.
He or she will supervise the translation process of the original documents (from about 20 languages) into English. The coordinator will manage an editorial group, comprised of a project assistant, several student assistants and free-lance translators and is expected to ensure the cooperation with the funding institutions, editorial board, and publishing house.
This is a full time position for the duration of the project (at least 3 years), available from approx. June 2014 or as soon as possible thereafter. This post is based in Berlin, at the Institute of Contemporary History.
The project is funded by the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, DFG) and Yad Vashem.
Salary: approx. 43.000 Euros (before taxes), TVL-14, 100%, for further information: http://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/c/t/rechner
Closing Date: April 15th 2014
Interview Date: May 9th 2014 in Berlin
Please send your application as one pdf-file only via email to:
|Primary Category:||Holocaust, Genocide, and Memory Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Contemporary History
Jewish History / Studies