Resident Director, Multi-Country Program (Beijing and Delhi)
Location: New Delhi, India, with approximately 8 weeks each semester in Beijing, China
Start date: May - June 2014
Duration: Ten month appointment, minimum two year commitment
Reports to: Director of International Operations
About the Alliance
The Alliance for Global Education is a division of the Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University. The Alliance was formed with the vision of opening study abroad destinations in Asia to an ever-growing and more diverse U.S. undergraduate population.
The Alliance provides stimulating, interdisciplinary study abroad programs in China and India that maintain high academic standards, strong student services, and careful health and safety measures. Our core mission is to develop and promote innovative programs in vibrant, dynamic Asian countries that are of ever-increasing scholarly, political, and economic interest.
The Resident Director (RD) is responsible for developing and coordinating all aspects of the Beijing-Delhi program. Primary responsibilities include advising students on academic, cultural, and personal adjustment matters, liaising with program faculty, managing housing, classroom, and office facilities, managing the program budget and reporting on program accounts, overseeing arrangements for excursions and co-curricular activities, serving as point person for health and safety matters.
Academic Program Management
- Support core course faculty in advising student capstone projects
- Identify faculty with strong academic credentials to teach Alliance courses
- Observe classes, supervise and evaluate teaching according to high academic standards
- Work with teaching faculty to create syllabi and reading lists according to the Alliance’s standards
- Work with the Director of Academic Affairs and local faculty to develop new courses and implement changes to the curriculum as necessary
Orientation, Housing, Activities, and Student Life
- Work with U.S.-based program staff on designing pre-departure information and preparations
- Design and implement an arrival orientation
- Design creative co-curricular activities that supplement and enhance the curriculum
- Identify and manage housing that meets Alliance standards
- Identify opportunities for Alliance students to meet Indian and Chinese students
- Manage program-related travel logistics
- Provide leadership, crisis management, and support during student emergencies
- Meet with students regularly to assess their experience and to resolve any problems
Office Management and Financial Administration
- Manage a program operating budget, maintain accounting records, and submit regular accounting reports
- Serve as liaison between local and U.S. staff
- Maintain frequent communication with the Director of International Operations, and the Directors for China and India Programs, on program management and any issues that might arise
- Work with the Directors of Academic Affairs and International Operations to continually develop and improve the curriculum, teaching quality, co-curricular program elements, immersion opportunities, and student services
- Respond to student and teacher evaluations to improve the programs
- Regularly report on program progress through weekly reports and propose innovative recommendations for the future
- Host site visits from U.S. faculty members, study abroad professionals, and members of the Alliance recruiting team.
- Regularly provide information updates and photos for the Alliance website
- Travel to the U.S. for conferences, campus visits, meetings, and training as needed
- Master’s degree
- At least 7 years’ professional experience; relevant work or study experience in India and/or China, and experience studying or working in the U.S.
- Experience working with American college students
- Proven organization, management, and communication skills
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- A commitment to the field of international education
- Flexibility toward evolving responsibilities as the program grows
Salary and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Health insurance and paid annual leave
- Opportunities for professional development and advancement
- Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in your cover letter how you learned of the position.
- Within 48 hours of submitting your application materials, an email will be sent confirming receipt. No phone calls, please. Due to the large volume of applicants, correspondence will be conducted via email. We will contact you if you are selected for an interview.
- The position will remain open until filled and the description is removed from the website.