University of Cape Town, Department of Religious Studies
Lecturer: Asian Religions
|Institution Type:||College / University|
University of Cape Town
Department of Religious Studies
Faculty of Humanities
Lecturer: Asian Religions
The Department of Religious Studies, Asian Religions, invites applications for a permanent Lecturer level position, from 01 July 2014, or as soon as possible thereafter.
- A PhD or close to completion
- The ability to teach:
- undergraduate courses in Asian religions
- aspects of Asian religious traditions in thematic courses such as Religion and Society; Religion, Sexuality and Gender; “The Death of God” and Modernity
- methods in the study of religion
- postgraduate courses, and supervise theses in one or more Asian religions
- A strong interest in and commitment to research into aspects of Asian religions in comparative perspective
- A research focus on one or more Asian religious traditions in South Africa.
- A research focus on secularism, critical theory or postcolonial discourse in relation to Asian religions
- A research focus on gender and feminist theory in relation to Asian religions
- Lecturing at all levels of undergraduate study
- Lecturing at Honours and Masters levels in the postgraduate programme
- Postgraduate supervision
- Convening courses and managing academic processes, such as examinations
- Actively engaging in academic research
- Engaging in socially responsive research and outreach
The annual cost of employment, including benefits, is R 484 656.
Address: Department of Religious Studies, Faculty of Humanities, University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3, Rondebosch, 7700
Telephone: +27 21 650 5084;
Faculty/Departmental website: http://www.humanities.uct.ac.za/hum/departments/religious_studies
Reference number: SR 622/14
Closing date: 10 March 2014
UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. Our Employment Equity Policy is available at
UCT reserves the right not to appoint.
To apply, please e-mail the completed UCT Application form (HR201) and all other relevant documentation as indicated on the form, with the subject line “Lecturer: Asian Religions” followed by the reference number SR 622/14 to Ms. Lily Nombombo at email@example.com
The application form can be downloaded at http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/sapweb/forms/hr201.doc
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
|Primary Category:||Asian History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Asian American History / Studies
Religious Studies and Theology