Georgetown University - School of Foreign Service in Qatar, Center for International and Regional Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Administrator, Research Professional|
The Center for International and Regional Studies (CIRS) at the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service in Qatar is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Research Associate. This position will support the Director and Associate Director in managing CIRS’s research output. The role will contribute towards developing CIRS’s inter-disciplinary research agenda (focused on the politics, economics, society, and culture of the Persian Gulf and Middle East). This position will add actively to all areas of CIRS’s research and publications portfolio, including research and editing assignments. The position is open to scholars in all social science disciplines, working on any area of the Middle East, with priority given to those working on the Persian Gulf. The Research Associate position will be based in Doha, Qatar for a fixed-term, two-year appointment, commencing September 2014 until August 2016.
Under the direction of the Associate Director for Research, undertakes assigned research projects in line with the CIRS’s current research agenda. Task may include:
• Identification of critical gaps in the scholarship, systematic literature reviews and providing summaries of sources relevant articles/journals;
• Contribute to editorial and written tasks related to CIRS publications, undertaking preparation of reports and research publications;
• Contribute development of independent and original ideas as appropriate;
• Assist in the organization of CIRS research meetings and working groups;
• Support the dissemination of CIRS research by attending meetings, assisting in the intellectual and logistic organization of research initiatives;
• Helps represent CIRS in regional and international conferences and seminars.
• PhD International Relations, Politics, or related disciplines in the social sciences
• Previous experience in social science research is preferable, with demonstrated analytical and writing skills; familiarity with quantitative and/or qualitative research methods and social science databases.
• Fluency in regional language strongly preferred.
• 2 to 3 years previous experience in a professional setting, preferably an academic institution; close familiarity with the culture of academia and/or research institutions;
• Must possess adequate knowledge of computer programs necessary to manage academic databases, perform analysis, create graphs/spreadsheets, and conduct internet-based research.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, a current curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for three references (at least one of which must be from the most recent place of employment). Candidates are encouraged to visit CIRS’s website http://cirs.georgetown.edu.
Review of applications begin March 1, 2014, and continues until the position is filled.
Please submit application materials to email@example.com. Electronic applications are preferred. Applications or supporting materials may also be sent as well to Zahra Babar, CIRS-GUQ, 3300 Whitehaven Street, NW, Suite 2100, Washington, DC 20007-2401.
|Primary Category:||Middle East History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Political History / Studies