Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar, Art History
Art History Faculty - Modern and Contemporary
|Institution Type:||College / University|
The Art History Program seeks a full-time 9-month faculty member at the Assistant Professor level to teach undergraduate art history courses in support of the BA in Art History curriculum. The program seeks a specialist in Modern and Contemporary Art, within the context of a global discourse. Preference will be given to candidates whose research interests broadly engage with issues in contemporary art. We are especially keen to receive applications from candidates whose teaching and research interests include modern and contemporary art of Middle East. Candidates with experience in teaching museum studies, museum education, and exhibition strategies in a global context are strongly encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will have opportunities to collaborate with the museums in Doha (Museum of Islamic Art, MATHAF—Museum of Modern Arab Art, the upcoming Qatar National Museum) and other institutions in the region.
The successful candidate will join a department of six full-time art historians, committed to excellence in teaching and fostering a strong research culture. The candidate will work closely with the Director of the program to develop courses in areas of modern and contemporary art to complement existing art history curriculum. The faculty must be committed to engage collaboratively with colleagues within the Art History program as well as across disciplines with the various design and studio departments at VCUQatar. An interest in exploring innovative pedagogic strategies in a culturally diverse context must be demonstrated.
The teaching responsibilities include introductory surveys of Global Art History, as well as upper division art history courses in his/her areas of specialization. The normal teaching load is 2 courses per semester, and class sizes are small (typically 10-17). As teaching art history faculty work very closely with students, the successful candidate is required to maintain office hours to meet with students, serve as academic advisers, contribute to the function and educational objectives of the program, provide service to the university, the community in Qatar and the profession, and perform all other duties as assigned. The candidate is required to engage in the development and delivery of significant research agenda, seek publication, and present at international conferences. Art history faculty members are also encouraged to liaise with museums within the Gulf area and facilitate exhibitions.
The candidate must demonstrate scholarly and professional activities that make a significant contribution to a body of knowledge within the arts, and reflect a high standard of excellence in teaching, research, and pedagogy. Excellence in research is evidenced by scholarly publications, conference presentations, invited talks, curatorial projects, and significant awards recognizing scholarly activity and output. The faculty will also have the opportunity to collaborate with our colleagues in the VCU-Richmond art history program, which has a strong focus on modern and contemporary art.
Courses offered within this program are consistent with those offered at the Virginia Commonwealth University – Monroe Park Campus in Richmond, Virginia, with the added benefit of a multicultural sensitivity consistent with living and teaching in Doha, Qatar. Our students come from many countries and cultures, as do the faculty and employee members of Virginia Commonwealth University Qatar, so it is imperative successful candidates are able to interact and thrive in such a multicultural environment. The ideal candidate will be actively engaged in collaboration with colleagues across disciplines in this diverse learning environment.
• Doctoral degree in art history or related field is required.
• Demonstrated record of excellence in teaching, with a minimum of three (3) years experience teaching at the undergraduate level English-language university settings is strongly preferred.
• Established record of accomplishments in research or professional work in area of specialization strongly preferred.
• Must possess verbal and written fluency in English, as all courses are taught in English.
• Proficiency in Arabic highly desirable, but not required.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and demonstrate enthusiasm toward teaching and collaboration within in a multicultural environment
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU and VCUQatar.
• Competitive international salary
• Tax protection for U.S. Taxpayers
• 30% Off-shore supplement to base salary
• Medical Insurance (100% employer funded premium and employer cost shared options available)
• Fully furnished villa or apartment including wireless internet
• Annual travel allowance to home of record (to include a spouse and dependents relocated to Qatar)
• Monthly transportation allowance
• Educational reimbursement for up to 4 dependent children enrolled in an accredited K-12 program
• International Professional Development and Research Opportunities
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.
Qualified applicants who have a record of achievement appropriate to VCUQatar should apply at the following link: VCUQatar eRecruit. Only submissions through this link will be accepted.