Ohio University, University Libraries
Curator, Dr. You-Bao Shao Overseas Chinese Documentation and Research Center [Re-Posted
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Ohio, United States|
Curator, Dr. You-Bao Shao Overseas Chinese Documentation and Research Center [Re-Posted]
Ohio University Libraries seeks applications and nominations for the position of curator of the Shao Overseas Chinese Documentation and Research Center. The curator manages the overseas Chinese and East Asian collections and works collaboratively with the appropriate departments and faculty to integrate those collections into the University’s curriculum and research mission. The curator also serves as the Secretariat of the World Confederation of Institutes and Libraries for Chinese Overseas Chinese Studies and participates in the general work of the Center for International Collections. Ohio University Libraries seeks an innovative candidate who is comfortable in a changing environment; eager to engage stakeholders in a dynamic, fast-paced atmosphere; committed to working effectively with students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds; and energized by an exciting future.
The Shao Curator will:
- Build relationships and collaborate with select departments and faculty to integrate and promote the Center’s resources nationally and internationally
- Provide research assistance to scholars, locally and internationally, related to the Libraries’ collections on the overseas Chinese and East Asia
- Serve as the Secretariat of the World Confederation of Institutes and Libraries for Chinese Overseas Studies (WCILCOS) and with partner institutions, serve as the organizer of the international conference of the organization.
- Maintain content on the WCILCOS web site and other online guides and databases related to the overseas Chinese and East Asia
- Select and manage library materials related to the study of the overseas Chinese and East Asia
- Participate in the general activities of the Center for International Collections and the department by serving on departmental, library and/or University committees, providing public service and participating in other assigned projects.
- Engage in regular professional development and other related activities in order to bring best practices and innovative approaches to the Ohio University Libraries
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library/information science or an advanced degree in the humanities or social sciences
- Speaking, reading and writing fluency in Chinese and English
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated commitment to assessment and data-informed decision making processes
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Public services and outreach experience
- Research experience or coursework related to the Chinese diaspora
- Reading competency in at least one other primary language related to the Chinese diaspora, such as Dutch, Spanish or a Southeast Asian language
- Familiarity with scholarly resources, reference tools and electronic resources related to Chinese studies or the Chinese diaspora
- Research or work experience in an academic library
- Experience with web content management systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging technologies as utilized in meeting the needs of researchers
The Ohio University Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, and OhioLINK. The Libraries seek to be a dynamic gateway for the discovery, exchange, and creation of knowledge. The Hwa-Wei Lee Center for International Collections includes the You-Bao Shao Overseas Chinese Documentation and Research Center, the Southeast Asia Collection, the Chubu University Commemorative Japanese Collection and the depository collections from Malaysia, Botswana, Swaziland and Guatemala. The international collections at Ohio University are used by scholars worldwide. The World Confederation of Institutes and Libraries in Overseas Chinese Studies was established in Athens, Ohio to facilitate cooperation between experts on scholarship and documentation from institutes, archives and libraries around the world in the field of Chinese Overseas studies. For the past decade, the Shao Center has been co-organizing successful international conferences bringing these librarians and scholars together.
Ohio University is a comprehensive, state-assisted institution that is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Research University (high research activity). The main campus of Ohio University is located in Athens, Ohio, in the scenic foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, 75 miles southeast of Columbus, the state capital. Ohio University offers a student-centered learning experience to 21,000 students enrolled on the Athens campus, 10,000 students on the University’s five regional campuses, and 4,000 e-learning students. The University advances a diverse, dynamic, and collegial atmosphere for students, faculty, and staff.
Term, Salary & Benefits
This is a three year appointment, with possibility for renewal. Salary is commensurate with experience and education. Ohio University employees enjoy a liberal benefits package including 22 days annual vacation, generous insurance, and a State of Ohio employee retirement or an alternative retirement package.
Review of applications begins immediately; however applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is identified. For full consideration, apply by October 31. Position is available immediately. Please apply online at http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/7871
|Primary Category:||Library and Information Science
|Secondary Categories:||Chinese History / Studies