Northern Arizona University, History
History, Assistant Professor of Environmental History
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Arizona, United States|
Position: History, Assistant Professor of History
Vacancy Number: 600559
Status: Full-Time, Regular
- This is a tenure track, full-time, benefit eligible, 9 month academic year, position located in Flagstaff, Arizona.
- Email the following materials as digital attachments to: email@example.com ** Letter of application ** CV ** Unofficial transcript of coursework ** Writing sample no longer than about 30 pages. ** Evidence of teaching effectiveness ** Three letters of recommendation ** Names and contact information (including email addresses) for three references.
- The Department of History at Northern Arizona University seeks to hire a tenure-track assistant professor specializing in US environmental history in a global context. The position is open to candidates specializing in any period of US environmental history and preference will be given to those with the ability to teach world environmental history as well. The successful applicant will demonstrate a promising research agenda and strong potential as a teacher. In addition to offering courses in his/her area of expertise, the successful candidate will be expected to teach courses that complement the department's existing strengths, contribute to its graduate program, and meet other required course needs. Candidates should also be willing to develop connections with environmental academic programs and groups on campus, the community, and region.
- Earned PhD in History by May 2014.
- Ability to teach any period of US environmental history.
- Ability to teach world environmental history.
- Demonstration of a promising research agenda.
- Demonstration of a strong potential as a teacher.
- Ability to offer courses that complement department's existing strengths.
- Ability to contribute to the department's graduate program and other required courses.
- Willingness to develop connections with environmental academic programs on campus, the community, and region.
- The successful candidate will have the ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Northern Arizona University is a 26,000-student institution with its main campus in Flagstaff, a four-season community of about 67,000 at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks. NAU's emphasis on undergraduate education is enhanced by its graduate programs and research as well as distance learning. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes. The university is committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment. The Department of History is one of eight departments and schools comprising NAU's College of Arts and Letters. Its eighteen full-time faculty provide instruction for about four hundred active majors seeking undergraduate degrees in History or History Education, as well as for those who seeking the MA in History.
- Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
- This position will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on November 6, 2013.
- Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.