Akita International University, Faculty of International Liberal Arts
Full-time Position: Sociology
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Lecturer|
The Faculty of International Liberal Arts invites applications for a position in Sociology at the Lecturer, Assistant or Associate Professor level, beginning April 1, 2014.
AIU opened in 2004 as the first public ‘university corporation’ in Japan and, in recent years, it has been receiving growing attention from leading companies, other higher educational institutions and the mass media, for its unique education policy. The University is committed to the provision of a full international liberal arts curriculum and all the undergraduate teaching is conducted entirely in English (with the exception of the Japanese language program). All students are also required to spend a minimum of one year studying abroad at one of our 150+ overseas exchange partners. Currently there are about 800 Japan-based undergraduate students and 200 short-term international exchange students from all over the world enrolled in the university. There are also 60 Japanese and international students enrolled in the professional graduate school. For more information please refer to http://web.aiu.ac.jp.
The University operates a two 15-week semester system, and there is an additional 7.5-week Winter program in January-February. Faculty members are expected to teach 5-7 courses per year.
The successful candidate will join our multi-disciplinary Basic Education (BE) program, where s/he will offer Sociology related courses including:
・Sociology of Globalization
・Ideas and Theories in the Social Sciences
There will also be opportunities to teach courses, within the successful candidate’s area of expertise.
The appointment will be made on an initial three-year, fixed-term contract basis, and is renewable upon mutual agreement. A renewed contract will lead to indefinite-term (i.e. de facto tenured) employment. Salary is competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Generous benefits are also included as part of the remuneration, including partial housing allowance, health insurance, and a research fund allowance.
- Teach courses in the area of Sociology at undergraduate level.
- Teach other courses in the candidate’s area of expertise.
- Provide academic advising to individual students.
- Engage in scholarly activity at an international level.
- Participate in service to the University, program and community.
- Collaborate with colleagues on program development.
- Work effectively and collegiately in a multicultural learning environment.
Requirements for the position:
- An earned doctorate or equivalent qualification in Sociology, or in a closely related field;
- A record of excellent teaching at college level;
- Evidence of scholarly research activity, preferably at an institution of higher education;
- Excellent communication skills;
Candidates qualified to teach Japan-related courses are strongly encouraged to apply.
Prior experience of living or working in a multi-cultural environment, and a knowledge of Japanese language and/or culture are desirable.
Qualified applicants should submit the following documents to the address below. Email submissions are acceptable. The initial deadline for complete applications is October 31, 2013 but applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. After screening, some candidates may be contacted via Skype. Short-listed candidates will then be invited to AIU for interview. Documents to be submitted:
- A letter of application;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Statements of:
-research interests and achievements;
- A sample of three works including at least one extensive research article;
- Names of three current references. Candidates are requested to arrange for timely submission of three letters of reference which address the suitability of candidate for this position. (These should be sent directly by referees to AIU, either by e-mail (from an institutional account or on institutional letterhead) or as hardcopy by mail.)
Sociology Position Search Committee
c/o Division of Academic Affairs
Akita International University
Yuwa, Akita-city 010-1292 JAPAN
Please be advised that we will not return your application documents and those documents will be used only for selecting a qualified candidate.
Sociology Position Search Committee
|Secondary Categories:||Japanese History / Studies