Nevada State College, Library
Digital Projects Librarian--Oral History
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Nevada, United States|
|Position:||Archivist, Curator, Librarian, Research Professional|
Nevada State College is a new, rapidly growing four-year college located in metropolitan Las Vegas. We are seeking excellent professionals to work alongside dedicated faculty in a highly collegial, interdisciplinary environment. Our faculty and staff enjoy the rare opportunity to shape the college as it continues to grow into a cornerstone of higher education in Southern Nevada. The atmosphere they engender is one of enthusiasm, dedication, and camaraderie.
The NSC Library is seeking an individual for a grant funded position to complete a digitization project of oral histories. This individual will do a variety of tasks, such as project management and communication, oral history practices and standards, digitizing items in various formats (text, image, multimedia, etc.), OCR, metadata input, CONTENTdm coding and maintenance, internal workflow and standards documentation, and training of NSC Library staff on digitization equipment and projects.
EXCELLENCE FOSTERS OPPORTUNITY:
Celebrating its 10th anniversary in 2012, Nevada State College is the first and only four year institution in the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE). NSC places a special emphasis on the advancement of a diverse and largely under-served student population. Located on a developing 500-acre campus in the foothills of Henderson, Nevada, NSC emphasizes high-quality instruction, exemplary service, engaging learning experiences and innovation as a means to more efficient, effective outcomes in all comers of the campus. Enrollment has grown from 176 students in 2002 to over 3000 students in FY2012.
- Manages project staff and coordinates project workflows.
- Trains and supervises the Digital Project Intern and coordinates Student Assistants' duties for digital materials inventory, oral history collection and archiving, and metadata collation.
- Works with project management group, advisory committee members, and other college staff members to develop delivery schedules; maintains tracking system for collections and digital deliverables.
- Works with vendors to ensure quality oral history transcriptions and deliverables for digital assets, and to negotiate budgetary issues.
- Evaluates material quality and suitability for digitization.
- Oversees digitization, metadata capture, and OCR output; performs quality review of all assets and related activities for digitizing oral histories.
- Creates documentation, and maintains complete and accurate records of all work performed.
- Collaborates with Project Director and Digital Project Intern to deliver progress reports on specified schedule.
- Manages the development of the project website.
- Responds to public, professional, and scholarly inquiries.
Mid-40k’s DOE. Temporary 10 month appointment. Position open until filled; screening will begin immediately. Anticipated start date is Fall 2013.
Funding for the position is through June 30, 2014 by a Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) to digitize oral histories from the Nevada State College Oral History Project. Some travel is required.
Nevada State College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity and encourages applications from qualified members of legally protected classes. Discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, military status, or genetic information is prohibited.
Kate Hahn: email@example.com
|Primary Category:||Oral History
|Secondary Categories:||American History / Studies
Library and Information Science
Urban History / Studies