The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Church History Department
Historic Sites Curator, Interpretive Specialist
|Location:||Utah, United States|
Purposes: The Church History Department seeks a full-time Historic Sites Curator with responsibility for research, interpretive planning, exhibit messaging and design, and curriculum development. This individual will assist in identifying, researching, preserving, developing, and interpreting historic sites significant to the history of the LDS Church.
- Representing educational aims and interpretive perspectives on inter-departmental exhibit and historic site development teams. Includes defining messages, developing themes and exhibit story lines, researching artifacts, graphics, photos, and moving images, developing object and media lists, and writing and editing text, AV components, and tour outlines.
- Providing high quality curriculum for volunteer docents, including writing historic site guides and creating online training modules.
- Advocating for the visitor in master planning and site development projects.
- Assisting with the research, messaging, writing, and editing for a wide variety of historic sites projects, such as, historic markers, brochures, web pages, and exhibits around the world.
- Developing cooperative working relationships with colleagues and assisting in building strategic relationships with other Church departments.
- Masters degree in history, museum studies, public history, historic interpretation, or a related field, with preference given to applicants with a PhD or ABD status.
- Five to seven years experience in interpretive planning, exhibit design, historic interpretation, or related fields, museum or historic sites settings preferred.
- Demonstrates expertise in historic interpretation, message design, or instructional design through examples of work product.
- Extensive familiarity with LDS history is a plus.
- Ability to work independently in a rigorous, goal-driven setting, and also work effectively as a collaborator in a team environment is essential.
- Excellent writing skills.
Must be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and currently temple worthy.
Please send letter of application, vita, writing sample, samples of interpretive work products, and three letters of recommendation to Interpretive Specialist, c/o Kiersten Olson, Church History Library, 15 E. North Temple St., Salt Lake City, UT 84150-1600. Or email to her at OlsonKL@ldschurch.org. Applicants must also complete on-line application found at www.ldschurch.jobs, posting 105408. Applications due by Sept. 1.
|Primary Category:||Public History
|Secondary Categories:||American History / Studies