University of Baltimore, College of Arts and Sciences
Writing Coordinator and Lecturer
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Maryland, United States|
Writing Coordinator and Lecturer
College of Arts and Sciences
University of Baltimore
Vacancy Number 2014-001
Position Type: Faculty position with benefits package
Note: Position is open until filled and document review begins immediately.
The University of Baltimore (UB) seeks a motivated writing instructor with leadership experience and teaching expertise in developmental writing to serve as the Writing Coordinator. This 9.5 month contractual position carries a 2-2 teaching load in developmental writing at the rank of Lecturer and a halftime load in administration of the developmental writing program, a part of the UB Writing Program housed in the Yale Gordon College of Arts and Sciences. The position is renewable annually and reports to the Writing Program Director.
Founded in 1925, the University of Baltimore currently enrolls approximately 6000 students, of which about 2000 are undergraduates. UB comprises the Yale Gordon College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Public Affairs, The Merrick School of Business, and the School of Law.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
• Terminal degree in writing, English, communication or developmental education with an emphasis in developmental writing or reading and writing;
• Ability to advance existing efforts to design effective developmental writing curriculum;
• Established record in teaching courses in developmental writing using innovative pedagogical strategies, creativity, and best practices in the use of technology to enhance instruction;
• Willingness to advise faculty on issues in developmental writing, student learning, and success;
• Competency in designing and executing assessment of student learning in developmental courses and in reporting on retention and completion rates of developmental writing students;
• Ability to train and support instructional staff;
• Knowledge of current trends in developmental writing education;
• Collaborative skills in supplemental instruction;
• Knowledge of placement testing and placements;
• Ability to collaborate with the Writing Program Director on schedules, staffing, evaluation and day-to-operations relating to developmental writing within the UB Writing Program.
It is also desirable for the candidate to have taken part in institutional discussions on the relationship of developmental studies, especially writing, to campus-wide persistence and retention efforts and to assist the Writing Program Director in the integration of developmental writing into the General Education curriculum for the students.
Within the first year of appointment, the successful candidate will work with the Writing Program Director in the redesign of all developmental writing courses.
The salary range is $42,000-$55,000/annually depending on experience and qualifications.
You’ll love Baltimore. The University of Baltimore is a member of the University System of Maryland and is comprised of the Yale Gordon College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Public Affairs, the Merrick School of Business, and the School of Law. We are located in mid-town Baltimore bordering the Mt. Vernon cultural district, Station North Arts District, and the world-class Baltimore Symphony Orchestra. We are convenient to Baltimore public transportation, a short train ride from Baltimore’s Penn Station to Washington, DC, and near BWI Airport. Rank and tenure-status open.
Preferred start date: August 21, 2013. Review of applications begins immediately and remains ongoing until position is filled. . Please send letter of application, CV, and statement of philosophy on developmental writing and student persistence issues to Marian Savage at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Baltimore is an AA/EOE employer.
See ad text.