The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Deans Office
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Illinois, United States|
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, a leading private college of art and design, invites nominations and applications for a full-time Undergraduate Dean to join the team of administrators including a Dean of Faculty, Graduate Dean, Associate Deans, Division Chairs, Provost, Vice-Provost, and Vice Presidents. The position of Dean requires an earned terminal degree, relevant administrative experience, and a distinguished academic record commensurate with a tenured appointment as a Professor of a department in the School. The Undergraduate Dean must possess a keen awareness of the promise and context of undergraduate study in a private, not-for-profit art school setting. A commitment to shared governance and the capacity to provide strong academic leadership are required qualifications. The successful candidate is expected to bring a vision for the future that will inspire his/her colleagues to pursue a higher standard of excellence for teaching and professional practice. S/he will encourage and lead the faculty, students, and staff to greater academic excellence.
The Undergraduate Dean develops and articulates a compelling vision for undergraduate education at SAIC, provides a dynamic representation of SAIC programs to the community, oversees the practical operation of both studio and academic programs, and manages a comprehensive set of responsibilities.
Primary responsibilities fall within three main areas:
- Comprehensive oversight of undergraduate degrees and curriculum, including the review and improvement of undergraduate academic practices, policies, and processes, and development of new initiatives and academic programming.
- Undergraduate admissions and retention, including the development and oversight of comprehensive student assessment practices.
- Institutional planning through participation in regular staff and faculty meetings, faculty searches, appointments and contract reviews, and specific initiatives.
Education and Experience
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in art, art-related studies, or education required; an earned doctorate in an art- or humanities-related field or education, preferred.
- Five years of increasingly responsible administrative experience in higher education, academic leadership, project leadership in higher education, and/or college level teaching.
- Minimum two years administrative experience as Department Chair, Associate Dean, Assistant Dean, Program Coordinator. Ideal candidate has experience in faculty development, program development, accreditation, assessment, and evaluation.
- Collaborative management style; experience with quality improvement, diverse populations, and a commitment to the School's mission and assessment of student learning.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and multiculturalism in previous work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to create a learning environment that fosters student success; and to develop a technologically integrated environment that fosters innovation within a learning organization.
- Experience with campus-wide learning assessment.
- Significant professional practice as artist, art-related scholar, or researcher.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of college students, particularly those in the arts.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices associated with higher education curricula and instruction, student support services, student learning, and student success.
- Knowledge of college accreditation procedures, practices, and standards.
- Ability to effectively lead employees and teams with a collaborative style in a collegial and participatory governance environment.
- Ability to deliver formal and influential presentations.
- Knowledge of the development, implementation, and assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Ability to be a fair-minded, ethical, and honest leader with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to develop, implement, and evaluate programs and services.
- Ability to utilize data and assessment outcomes to make improvements for programs and services.
- Ability to inspire and motivate others toward goal achievement.
- Ability to effectively manage priorities in large, complex and diverse operational units.
- Ability to use independent judgment in the interpretation and application of rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to provide leadership and work collaboratively and productively with all stakeholders, including faculty, students, administrators, support staff, unions, and the community.
Conditions of Employment
- Regular, academic management position beginning on or around August 1, 2014.
- Salary commensurate with education and experience.
- Health benefits, which include medical, dental, and vision insurance for employee with a high percentage of coverage for eligible dependents, and a Defined Contribution Plan to which the institution contributes.
- Vacation and paid holidays.
All offers of employment are contingent upon approval by the Board of Trustees, receipt of official transcripts verifying the degree stipulated under the minimum qualifications section, employment verification, and any other pertinent documentation. Individual selected is required to complete a background check.
By Tuesday, October 1, 2013 please submit complete application materials at SAICfaculty.slideroom.com. You will be asked to create an account, then complete the application which is a combination of fill-in fields and uploaded documents. Complete the fields for contact information, educational background, and three professional references. Required files to upload include: letter of introduction stating your interests and qualifications; résumé, and writing samples (PDF files recommended).
The Chair of the selection committee welcomes all inquiries and nominations: email@example.com.