University of Sydney, FACULTY OF ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
LECTURER IN JOURNALISM AND MEDIA
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Position:||Assistant Professor, Lecturer|
LECTURER IN JOURNALISM AND MEDIA
FACULTY OF ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
SCHOOL OF LETTERS, ART AND MEDIA
- Exciting opportunity for a scholar with expertise in teaching journalism, and researching journalism and related media
- Join a dynamic, engaged group of renowned academics in a leading centre for teaching, researching, and public discussion of journalism and media
- Full-time, continuing: $104.6K - $124.2K p.a. (including salary, leave loading and up to 17% super)
The University of Sydney is Australia’s first university and has an outstanding international reputation for academic and research excellence. It employs 7500 permanent staff, supporting over 49,000 students.
Our University has dedicated centres for the study of China and South East Asia, cardiovascular disease and obesity, a new Institute for Democracy and Human Rights, and enjoys the benefits of the city of Sydney as the headquarters of Australia’s leading media companies and institutions, as well as lively cultural institutions.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers one of the most comprehensive and diverse range of humanities and social science studies in the Asia Pacific region and is regularly ranked in the 20 top faculties of its kind.
Founded in 2000, and based in the School of Letters, Art and Media, the Department of Media and Communications (MECO) is a leading centre for teaching, research, and public engagement in many areas, including transformations in communication and media, journalism studies, digital cultures and technologies, culture and media, communication and media policy, public and political communication, health communication, media history, screen studies, and media and politics. From 2013, the Department enters an exciting new phase, joining with the Digital Cultures program.
MECO offers a suite of outstanding degrees and programs of study, including:
- a prestigious, highly sought-after four-year undergraduate degree, offering a unique combination of a great humanities education with excellent vocational preparation for careers in media and communications industries
- a major in digital cultures in the faculty’s Bachelor of Arts
- five highly-regarded Masters degrees in Media Practice, Digital Cultures, Strategic Public Relations, Publishing, and Health Communications
- a burgeoning and distinctive higher degrees by research program.
MECO has established itself as an outstanding, supportive environment for innovative research. It makes an internationally significant contribution to understandings of media, communication, and digital cultures, which are now so central to our social, economic, political, and cultural arrangements. MECO has a strong track record of research collaborations and external grant success.
MECO benefits from excellent media production facilities and high-quality research infrastructure and support, as well as established interdisciplinary links and projects with outstanding researchers at the University working on media and communication from disciplines such as gender and cultural studies, politics, human rights, sociology, law, business, science and technology, health and medicine, and area studies, especially Asia, the Americas and Europe. The department has established particular expertise in the teaching of journalism and in research concerning journalism and associated media and communication.
In this exciting lectureship opportunity you will:
- teach and develop curriculum for undergraduate and postgraduate courses in journalism, as well as a range of areas of communication and media
- make an important contribution to the research strengths of the school, including regular publication in journals of high ranking and other quality outlets and the pursuit of research grants
- supervise research higher degree students
- develop effective interdisciplinary collaborations within the University, across the academic field and with external stakeholders
- engage with the communication and media industry, journalism and other professions, and interested publics
- contribute to academic administration.
To be the successful candidate you will need:
- a PhD in journalism studies, communications and media, or a related field
- teaching experience at tertiary level in journalism
- proven expertise and knowledge, research ability and research potential in journalism, and another area of communication and media research
- professional experience in journalism
- evidence of your ability to undertake academic administrative responsibilities
- the ability to work in a collegial and effective manner with a broad range of colleagues and external stakeholders
- a demonstrated capacity for engagement in cultural and industry debates in journalism and media.
There are also desirable criteria for appointment.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number for more information and to apply.
CLOSING DATE: 4 August 2013 (11:30pm Sydney time)
The proposed start date for this role is 1 February 2014, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Important note: applicants who previously applied for this role will need to re-apply to be considered.
The University is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups and women are encouraged. The University of Sydney has also established a scheme to increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff employed across the institution. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
Specific enquiries about the role can be directed to Professor Gerard Goggin on +61 2 9114 1218 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding the recruitment process can be directed to Michelle Carlon on + 61 2 8627 1238 or email@example.com
|Primary Category:||Journalism and Media Studies