Executive Director of Communications & Marketing (Assistant Administrator)
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||New York, United States|
Job Title: Executive Director of Communications & Marketing (Assistant Administrator)
Job ID: 8247
CLOSING DATE: July 5, 2013
Location: Queensborough CC
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Assistant Administrator manages one or more key administrative functions. He/she develops, implements, and assesses programs and services to produce high-quality results and meet strategic goals. He/she also coordinates activities among different units, and with areas outside the College, and may oversee staff, budget, operations, and facilities.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Queensborough Community College, a community college of The City University of New York, seeks an Executive Director of Communications and Marketing who will provide strategic vision and leadership for all external and internal marketing and communications functions to support enrollment, fundraising, and the overall advancement of the College. S/he will serve as the spokesperson for the College and will lead a proactive approach to the integration and dissemination of communications and materials to promote the College, its programs, faculty, staff, students, and alumni. The portfolio includes public and media relations, publications, advertising, website development, social media, enrollment marketing, and electronic communications. Reporting to the President, the Executive Director will be a key member of the department's executive staff and will work closely with the President and other senior leaders of the College.
The duties and responsibilities of the position will include:
- Create and implement a strategic external public relations and communications plan for the College, including the website, print and electronic materials, development and public program initiatives, annual reports, speeches, and press releases.
- Respond to inquiries from print and other media in cooperation with the University Central Office to ensure consistent and positive public relations for Queensborough Community College.
- Manage and direct the communications and marketing needs of all departments within the College; advise all departments and staff on communications and public relations issues.
- Collaborate with faculty, students, and staff to foster coordinated college communications and marketing activities that promote faculty accomplishments, innovations, and student and alumni achievements.
- Work with the President and Cabinet to develop and prepare official communications.
- Work with the Vice President for Institutional Advancement to create development and fundraising materials as well as with the Cabinet to create marketing and informational program materials.
- Oversee design and creation of all printed and electronic editorial material, including recruitment publications.
- Supervise Communications and Marketing professional and administrative staff.
- Oversee writing, editing, proofing, the development of College publications, web content, marketing materials, budget development, and vendor relations.
- Assume responsibility for crisis communications, working closely with the Director of Security and Public Safety and senior leadership.
- Serve on college and university committees.
- Perform other related duties as assigned, including attendance at particular functions and events throughout the year.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience. Additional qualifications are defined below by the College.
Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred. This candidate must demonstrate a proven track record of at least eight years executing creative and goal-oriented marketing and communications strategies that include management of a comprehensive marketing and communications department.
The Executive Director will ensure that the Department of Communications and Marketing supports a range of strategic initiatives, including student recruitment, fundraising, alumni relations, faculty research, press engagement, and professional studies programs. The Executive Director must serve as a champion of the College's vision and mission and its diversity. The successful candidate must have extraordinary communication skills and be an open, achievement-oriented professional with experience in supporting and engaging key leaders and stakeholders. The individual should have a collegial, team-building style with a demonstrated ability to motivate staff to keep them engaged, energized, and focused on results and to cultivate productive, collaborative relationships with faculty, board members, alumni, and staff across the College.
Experience in higher education or relevant nonprofit management preferred; demonstrated skills in writing, message development, and audience identification. Experience must include the following formats: print and electronic; internal and external; online advertising and marketing; marketing collateral; and public relations. Experience managing and/or developing digital media is required along with strong interpersonal and management skills; the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines; proven effectiveness in working collaboratively; the ability to understand and respond to financial policies and budgetary planning; and ability to communicate effectively within a complex organization.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.