College of William and Mary, Confucius Institute
Assistant Director, Confucius Institute
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Virginia, United States|
The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia seeks to fill the position of Assistant Director for its Confucius Institute (WMCI), a collaborative program with the Chinese Language Council International (Hanban) and Beijing Normal University (Beijing Shifan Daxue) to promote the study of Chinese language and culture at the College of William and Mary and in the neighboring communities of Virginia. This position is a fixed-term appointment for one year with annual renewals. The ideal candidate will be self-driven, organized and innovative. The incumbent reports to the Director of the WMCI and is responsible for the operation and management of day-to-day affairs of the Institute.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promote and coordinate cultural programing on campus
- Promote and participate in scholarly activities and events
- Market WMCI to local communities, and develop community engagement programs
- Develop language and culture programs at K-12 schools
- Coordinate collaboration with all interested and participating units at the College
- Initiate and maintain contacts with external organizations and corporations
- Prepare yearly budget report and proposals to Hanban
- Train and supervise the staff at the Institute
- Assist with program evaluation and give advice concerning the direction of future programs
- A Master’s degree
- Two years of professional experience in program administration and management
- Evidence of experience working in an independent manner
- Evidence of experience working in a diverse cultural environment
- Strong interpersonal and communicative skills
- Strong written and verbal skills
- Skills in computer word processing, spreadsheet and website management
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of Mandarin Chinese
- US employment eligibility (this position is not eligible for visa sponsorship)
- An advanced degree (Master’s or Ph.D.) in higher education or international studies
- Professional experience related to China
- Experience in grant writing
- Working knowledge of state and local government policies and procedures
For full consideration candidates must apply online at http://jobs.wm.edu and submit a cover letter, resumé and the names and contact information for 3 professional references.
Review will begin 6/24/13 and continue until the position is filled. The College of William & Mary is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access employer and conducts background checks on applicants for employment.
All inquiries about this position should be directed to Dr. Yanfang Tang, Chair of the Search Committee, at email@example.com.
|Primary Category:||Chinese History / Studies