University of Sydney, US Studies Centre and Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (Joint appointment)
LECTURER IN AMERICAN STUDIES
|Institution Type:||College / University|
US STUDIES CENTRE AND FACULTY OF ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES (Joint appointment)
REFERENCE NO. 839/0413
- Join a leading academic institution
- Opportunity for an academic with expertise in either History, Politics, English, Film Studies or Media Studies
- Full-time and continuing with attractive remuneration package
The University of Sydney is home to the United States Studies Centre whose mission is to increase understanding of the United States in Australia. There is also a rich history of research and teaching on the United States in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, in addition, the University’s Fisher Library holds the largest collections of American material of any library in Australia.
The American Studies Program draws on staff from the Departments of English, Film Studies, History, Government and Music and the United States Studies Centre to offer the most extensive, multidisciplinary major in American Studies in Australia.
The American Studies Program currently invites applications for a Lecturer in American Studies and in this exciting role you will:
- teach two American Studies units
- develop curriculum individually and as part of a team
- supervise postgraduate students
- contribute to the research strengths of the Centre and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, including regular publication in journals of high ranking and other quality outlets, and the pursuit of research grants.
- develop effective interdisciplinary collaborations within the University and with external stakeholders
- engage with the media and interested members of the public.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- a PhD in American Studies in either History, Politics, English, Film Studies or Media Studies
- teaching experience at tertiary level in American Studies
- a commitment to teamwork in curriculum development and other areas of academic administration
- a demonstrated research track record in American Studies
- the ability to articulate a plausible and ambitious three year research plan which demonstrates potential for outstanding scholarly achievement in your area of specialisation
- experience working in a collegial and effective manner with colleagues at Department, Faculty, and University level, as well as with external stakeholders
- a demonstrated capacity for engagement in outreach activities in American Studies (e.g. public talks and debates and media commentary)
- evidence of your ability to participate in collaborative research projects
- experience with a diverse student body, including local, career change and international students.
Desirable for appointment is your experience in a multidisciplinary American Studies environment.
The successful candidate will hold a joint appointment in the United States Studies Centre and the appropriate department or program in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences.
Remuneration package (Academic Level B): $104,644 - $124,263 p.a. (which includes a base salary of $88,426 - $105,004 p.a., leave loading and up to 17% employer’s contribution to superannuation). The successful applicant is also eligible for a performance bonus and salary packaging benefits.
The position is full-time and continuing (i.e. it is a permanent role), subject to the completion of a satisfactory probation and confirmation period for new appointees.