University of Sydney, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
LECTURER IN ASIAN ART HISTORY
|Institution Type:||College / University|
FACULTY OF ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
SCHOOL OF LETTERS, ART AND MEDIA
REFERENCE NO. 872/0512A
- Exciting opportunity for a scholar with expertise in modern and contemporary Asian art
- Join a collaborative and supportive network of internationally renowned academics
- Full-time, continuing: $104K-$124K p.a. (including salary, leave loading and up to 17% super)
The University of Sydney has dedicated centres for the study of China and Southeast Asia, and Sydney benefits from many lively cultural institutions with a focus on Asia.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers one of the most comprehensive and diverse range of humanities and social science studies in the Asia Pacific region and is regularly ranked in the top 20 faculties of its kind.
Our Department of Art History and Film Studies (within the School of Letters, Art and Media), was founded by the bequest of J. W. Power in 1967, and we are a leading centre for research and teaching, and offer a wide range of opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate study in many fields, including European, American, Asian and Australian art.
Our Department benefits from the convening and publishing activities of the Power Institute, and the Schaeffer Library, a dedicated art library whose collection focuses on modern and contemporary art globally.
We have established particular expertise in recent years in the area of Modern and Contemporary Asian Art and seek to continue and expand this emphasis through the appointment of a Lecturer in Asian Art History.
In this exciting lectureship opportunity you will:
- teach and develop curriculum for undergraduate and postgraduate courses with a focus on modern and contemporary Asian art
- make a contribution to the research strengths of the school, including the pursuit of research grants and regular publication in journals of high standing
- supervise research higher degree students
- be a source/centre for interdisciplinary collaborations within the university and with external stakeholders
- contribute to academic administration.
To be the successful candidate you will need:
- a PhD in the area of Asian art history, preferably modern or contemporary
- teaching experience at tertiary level in Asian art
- an established research profile and ambitious research plans in Asian art
- knowledge of the history of Asian art across more than one Asian culture
- specific knowledge of modern and contemporary Asian art
- academic administration skills
- excellent teamwork and communication skills to work with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders
- demonstrated fluency in English
- competency in at least one Asian language (sufficient for undertaking research and understanding scholarly literature).
There are also desirable criteria for this role.
Remuneration package: Lecturer (Academic Level B): $104,644 - $124,263 p.a. (which includes a base salary of $88,426 - $105,004 p.a., leave loading and up to 17% employer’s contribution to superannuation).
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 872/0512A for more information and to apply.
CLOSING DATE: 30 June 2013 (11.30pm Sydney time)
The University is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups and women are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney