Director, UVa China Office
|Institution Type:||College / University|
The University of Virginia (UVA) is seeking a Director to serve as its chief resident representative in China, based in Shanghai.
The Director will represent the University and help manage its growing activities in China. UVA has a variety of ongoing research and study abroad programs in Mainland China and Hong Kong. Approximately 800 Chinese graduate and undergraduate students currently attend UVA, and nearly 2000 alumni and parents live in those territories. Recognizing China's importance to state, national, and global challenges and opportunities, the University is intent on expanding its engagement abroad as a necessary step in better educating its students, improving global inquiry and innovation, and serving the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The Director will report to the Provost via the Vice Provost for Global Affairs and work in collaboration with relevant University offices.
Founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819, the University of Virginia sustains the ideal of developing, through education, leaders who are well-prepared to shape the future of the nation. Its commitment to excellence, evidenced by consistent ranking among the top two public institutions in the country, according to U.S. News and World Report, is made possible by the University’s superb students, faculty, and staff, as well as by its commitment to diversity and the free exchange of ideas.
• A graduate degree is preferred.
• A working knowledge of teaching and research at the University of Virginia.
• Administrative/professional experience and familiarity with academic environments.
• Capacity to help establish and manage executive education programs.
• Ability to network effectively and communicate complex issues and perspectives to partners in China and the United States.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong commitment to service excellence in working with UVA's schools and units.
• Excellent Chinese language skills and familiarity with Chinese culture. Knowledge of and experience in Shanghai a plus.
The University of Virginia is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
To express interest in this opportunity, please apply on-line at https://jobs.virginia.edu and search Posting #0611794 to complete a candidate profile and attach your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references. The position will remain open until filled, and the search will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted. For further information, or to provide nominations, please contact Jeremy Duff by email at email@example.com.