University of Sydney, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
LECTURER IN ENGLISH
|Institution Type:||College / University|
SCHOOL OF LETTERS, ART AND MEDIA
REFERENCE NO. 162/0113
- Teaching and research opportunity for an Australian literature specialist
- Develop your academic career alongside supportive colleagues
- Full-time, 3 year fixed term (or 2.5 years depending on start date): $104.6K - $124.2K p.a. (including salary, leave loading and up to 17% super)
The University of Sydney is Australia's first university and has an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. It employs over 7500 permanent staff supporting over 49,000 students.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers one of the most comprehensive and diverse range of humanities and social science studies in the Asia Pacific region and is regularly ranked in the 20 top faculties of its kind.
The School of Letters, Art and Media is a vibrant school whose pedagogic practice, research profile and external engagements are shaped by the synergistic benefits of bringing together traditional disciplines with long intellectual histories such as art history, English and linguistics with newer sub disciplinary or interdisciplinary formations such as media and communication and museum studies.
The Department of English’s Australian Literature Program is Australia's leading centre for research and teaching in Australian literature. In this role you will have access to the Australian Literature Resources Centre, which regularly hosts national and international visitors.
In this exciting lectureship opportunity you will:
- teach and convene the foundation unit ENGL 1008 - Australian Texts: International Contexts
- contribute to teaching other undergraduate (and potentially postgraduate) courses in Australian literature and English
- make an important contribution to the research strengths of the school in the field of Australian literary studies, including regular publication in journals of high ranking and other quality outlets
- supervise undergraduate and postgraduate research students
- develop effective interdisciplinary collaborations within the University, across academic fields and with external stakeholders
- actively contribute to academic administration and be engaged in the life of the English department.
To be the successful candidate you will need:
- a PhD in Australian Literature
- teaching experience at the tertiary level, preferably in Australian literature
- a demonstrated research track record in Australian literature
- the ability to articulate a plausible and ambitious three year research plan
- evidence of your ability to undertake academic administrative responsibilities
- the ability to supervise undergraduate and postgraduate research students
- the ability to work in a collegial and effective manner with a broad range of university wide colleagues and with external stakeholders.
Desirable for appointment is your:
- teaching experience across a broad range of English department courses
- experience with a diverse student body, including local, career change and international students.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a thriving and intellectually ambitious department in a world-class university which attracts the very best students from Australia and overseas.
Remuneration package: Lecturer (Academic Level B): $104,644 - $124,263 p.a. (which includes a base salary of $88,426 - $105,004 p.a., leave loading and up to 17% employer’s contribution to superannuation).
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number for more information and to apply.
CLOSING DATE: 10 April 2013 (11:30pm Sydney time)
Ideally the successful applicant will be able to commence employment in July 2013, however, this is negotiable.
The University is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups and women are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney