Santa Clara University, History
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||California, United States|
The History Department of Santa Clara University, a Jesuit and Catholic university, invites applicants for an adjunct lecturer position for Spring Quarter (April-June) 2013. The candidate will be expected to teach one course: HIST 154B (“Modern India”). Instruction in this course should follow the objectives and structure described in the syllabus approved for HIST 154B. Two iterations of the approved syllabus may be consulted at http://www.scu.edu/history. The syllabus describes the course in these terms:
India achieved independence from British rule in 1947 through mass mobilization under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi. Today, the world’s largest democracy is struggling with issues of political and social division even while vibrant with economic development. Gender identities with stark contrasts perpetuate injustices. In this course we examine the history of India since 1500, analyzing the colonial legacy, probing the more than half century of independence, and raising questions about the future issues such as environmental degradation and the challenge of feeding teeming millions, addressing basic issues of human rights in the Indian context, and greater equality for women and men.
Employment is necessarily contingent on adequate student registration for the course.
(1) Academic: Minimally, a Master’s degree in History, with evidence of preparation relevant to the required teaching, is required; PhD candidacy or a completed PhD with appropriate emphasis and preparation will receive preference; (2) Teaching: Evidence of aptitude for teaching History the university level.
Rank and Salary:
Quarterly Adjunct Lecturer; $5,700 per course.
1 April 2013 through 15 June 2013
15 November 2012
Teaching duties include but are not limited to:
1. Teaching the assigned course in the quarters indicated
2. Conducting all assigned class meetings and grading all assignments
3. Holding weekly office hours on campus
4. Assigning and submitting student grades to Student Records by the designated deadline
5. Fulfilling other academic duties as may be assigned by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences or the Chair of the History Department
Interested applicants should submit: (1) a letter of application, (2) a dossier including at least three letters of recommendation (3) a statement of teaching philosophy and experience working with diverse communities. Apply to: Search Committee, Department of History, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, CA 95053. Email: HistoryDepartment@scu.edu
Santa Clara University does not sponsor any visa applications for this position. The successful candidate must be able to provide evidence of identity and legal authorization to work in the United States.
|Primary Category:||Asian History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||South Asian History / Studies