California State University - Fullerton, Department of African American Studies
Assistant Professor - African American Health Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||California, United States|
African American Health Studies
The African American Studies Department at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track position in African American culture, history and society, with a specialization in one of the following areas of the medical humanities and social sciences, such as eugenics, scientific racism, racialization of health/health policy, social problems, race and health, reproductive health or similar area.
The successful candidate will take a multi-disciplinary approach to understanding African Americans in the United States and should be able to offer a broad range of courses, including introductory surveys of race and ethnicity in America, and upper division classes and courses in their area of specialization.
Positive tenure and promotion decisions require excellent teaching as well as research, peer-reviewed publications, and participation in the broader disciplinary community. Duties include but not limited to: additional teaching responsibilities based upon applicant's strengths and the department’s needs; engaging in scholarly/creative activities leading to national visibility and contributing to a university vision on internationalization and interdisciplinary collaboration; advising African American Studies’ Department majors; and providing appropriate university service.
The position offers the right candidate an opportunity to participate in the growth and development of a creative, energetic faculty building a dynamic, intellectually exciting interdisciplinary department. The successful candidate will be eager to join with colleagues in a commitment to active learning, to the assessment of learning outcomes, and to multiple pathways enabling students to acquire a transformative education on the way to a college degree.
- PhD in African American Studies, Ethnic Studies, American Studies, Women’s Studies, History, Sociology, Anthropology or in a field related to health or health studies from social science or humanities perspectives.
- A promising plan for scholarly research, funding, and publication
- Evidence of energy, creativity, and a commitment to joining with colleagues in building a dynamic, intellectually exciting interdisciplinary department
- Demonstrated academic leadership and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the university level
- Familiarity with recognized best practices in teaching and an interest in using and developing innovative instructional technologies to promote student learning. A record of successful teaching experience is highly desirable.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide and culturally diverse range of students and colleagues.
- Africana/Diaspora Studies
- Comparative Ethnic Studies
- Gender, Sexuality and/or Queer Studies
Rank and Salary
The position will be at the rank of Assistant Professor (tenure-track). Salary is competitive and commensurate with rank, qualifications and experience. CSU Fullerton operates on a semester system that enables faculty to teach during the summer for additional salary, and/or apply for intramural grants to do research during these months. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available which includes health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and/or dependent fee-waiver; access to campus child-care as well as affordable housing program; and a defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/Benefits/Faculty_Unit_3.pdf
Job Control Number
Send a letter of application describing teaching and research experience and interests in African American or Ethnic Studies, vita, writing sample, evidence of teaching excellence, and three recent letters of recommendation to:
Dr. Alexandro José Gradilla, Chair
African American Studies Department
California State University, Fullerton
PO Box 6868
Fullerton, CA 92834-6868
All application materials including letters of recommendation must be received by November 13, 2012, in order to ensure full consideration. The search committee will review applicants and interview prospective candidates. Position is open until filled.
Cal State Fullerton is an Equal Opportunity/
Title IX/503/504/VEVRA/ADA Employer
Achieving A Climate of Success Through Diversity & Equity
Dr. Alexandro José Gradilla, Chair
|Primary Category:||African American History / Studies