La Trobe University, History and the Australian Research Centre for Sex, Health and Society
PhD Scholarship, Religion and Sexual Politics in Postsecular Australia
|Institution Type:||College / University|
LaTrobe University, History and the Australian Research Centre for Sex, Health and Society, is currently inviting outstanding candidates to apply for a PhD scholarship to be undertaken as part of an Australian Research Council (ARC) project.
The wider project will examine the unresolved problem of the relationship between religious and sexual discrimination in contemporary Australia.The problem is reflected in the neglect of religion both in Australian history and in the history of sexuality. The aim of this project is to develop a framework through which to understand religious sexual politics in contemporary Australian history. Utilising the insights of postsecular theory and the history of emotions it will investigate how the rise of the global Christian Right since the 1960s has influenced understandings of religion, love and sex in Australia. The project will conduct fundamental empirical research, including interviews, oral histories and archival research. The research will contribute to understanding of the ongoing formation of Australian identity with a new understanding of religion and sexuality in a secularised and multicultural society. Proposals for a PhD program should identify a topic of the candidate's interest sympathetic to the goals of the wider project.
- Applicants must meet LaTrobe's PHD entry requirements and must hold a 1st class honours degree or equivalent.
- This scholarship opportunity is available to Australian/New Zealand citizens or permanent residents and International applicants.
Specific eligibility requirements
- Honours, Maters or Equivalent in History or a cognate field, with priority given to those with an interest in / experience within the following fields: history of sexuality, religious history, Australian history, queer and feminist history.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (English)
- Publication record in relevant fields (see above).
The 2012 scholarship rate is $23,728AUD per annum.
(+61) 03 9479 1304
|Primary Category:||Australian and New Zealand History / Studies
|Secondary Categories:||Childhood and Education
Colonial and Post-Colonial History / Studies
Cultural History / Studies
Film and Film History
Religious Studies and Theology
Social History / Studies
Women, Gender, and Sexuality
World History / Studies