University of Western Sydney, Institute for Culture and Society
|Institution Type:||College / University|
Doctoral Scholarship - Institute for Culture and Society
The University of Western Sydney’s newly-formed Institute for Culture and Society (which incorporates the Centre for Cultural Research) invites applications for PhD Scholarships.
About the Institute
The Institute for Culture & Society encourages theoretically-directed empirical research on the transformations in culture and society in the global era. The Institute is home to a number of internationally renowned scholars, contributing to the University of Western Sydney receiving the high-est ranking for research quality—well above world standard—in Cultural Studies (as part of the Excellence in Research for Australia 2010).
Headed by Director, Distinguished Professor Ien Ang, and Research Director, Professor Tony Bennett, the Institute for Culture & Society is especially interested in projects in the following areas:
- Cities and Urban Cultures
- Intercultural Dialogue and Transnational Culture
- Institutions, Governance and Citizenship
- Cultural Economy and Globalisation
- Heritage, Environment and Society
- Digital Research and Cultural Transformation
- Australian Cultural Fields
- Culture and Education
Candidates with backgrounds in cultural studies, sociology, anthropology, human geography, cultural history, media and communication studies, Asian studies and other disciplines are encouraged to apply. International applications are welcome, although fees may apply.
- Good Bachelor Honours degree (Class 1 or 2.1), or equivalent qualifications and/or experience
- Research or professional experience in a relevant field of the humanities and social sciences.
What does the scholarship provide?
- Tax-free stipend of $32,860 per annum and a funded place in the doctoral degree for domestic candidates. International applicants may have to pay fees.
Need more information?
- Contact the Research Training, Policy and Programs Officer, Mrs Sandra Lawrence to discuss enrolment and scholarships: email@example.com
- Find out more about the research being undertaken in the CCR and ICS at http://www.uws.edu.au/centre_for_cultural_research/ccr
How to apply
- Submit an application form, research proposal and CV by the closing date. The application form can be downloaded from the web: www.uws.edu.au/research/scholarships
APPLICATIONS CLOSE 21 October 2011
Contact the Research Training, Policy and Programs Officer, Mrs Sandra Lawrence to discuss enrolment and scholarships: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Primary Category:||Cultural History / Studies
Asian History / Studies
Colonial and Post-Colonial History / Studies
Demographic History / Studies
East Asian History / Studies
European History / Studies
Immigration History / Studies
Latin American and Caribbean History / Studies
South Asian History / Studies
Urban History / Studies