University of Kansas, Film and Media Studies
Assistant Professor, New Media Studies
|Institution Type:||College / University|
|Location:||Kansas, United States|
Department: Film and Media Studies, University of Kansas
Title: Assistant Professor
Expected Starting Date: August 18, 2011
Type of Appointment: Academic Year, Tenure-Track
The Department of Film and Media Studies at The University of Kansas seeks an Assistant Professor of New Media. Film and Media Studies is a growing and dynamic program with ten full-time faculty, including internationally recognized scholars and filmmakers. The successful candidate will demonstrate a thorough knowledge of digital media and a commitment to new media education, research, and professional practices. The candidate will develop and teach a minimum of four courses per year primarily in, but not limited to, New Media practice and theory. The candidate will actively participate in a growing film and media studies department that integrates production and studies, conduct scholarly/creative research in the field of film and media, as well as recruit, advise, and mentor students and graduate teaching associates. Additionally, the candidate will participate in service, which includes active participation in policy making, curriculum and program development and community outreach programming for the Department. The position is a academic-year, tenure-track appointment. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Ph.D. (or ABD) in film/media studies and production, with an emphasis in new media expected by start date of appointment (August 18, 2011).
- Formal training and teaching experience in film/media studies and production appropriate to an entry-level, tenure-track appointment.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in new media production methods and technologies.
- Record of, or demonstrated potential for, scholarship in the field of film and media at a level meeting the standards required for promotion and tenure.
- Demonstrated excellence, or strong potential, in teaching introductory film and media production and studies courses, upper-level undergraduate courses, and graduate seminars. (Graduate teaching assistant and adjunct teaching experience will be considered.)
- Evidence of ability to engage positively in the artistic and intellectual life of the Film and Media Studies Department, the School of the Arts, and the University.
- In addition to Ph.D., M.F.A. or M.A. in film/media production at the time of appointment.
- Professional experience in the field of new media production and/or film production.
- Interest and experience with cross-disciplinary collaboration and curriculum development.
- A candidate who will contribute to the climate of diversity in the College, including a diversity of scholarly approaches.
Screening of applications begins December 17, 2010, and continues as long as needed to identify a qualified pool. For complete application information and to apply on-line, see:
https://jobs.ku.edu and search for position number (00004346). For further information, contact:
Robert Hurst, Search Chair, Department of Film and Media Studies, University of Kansas, firstname.lastname@example.org,
The University of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Robert Hurst, Chair, Search Committee
|Primary Category:||Film and Film History